Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Camp Freightliner Worth It?

I have a chance to attend Camp Freightliner. It looks like it is $245 and there is no hands on. They apparently show you a chassis but it looks like I'd be paying for two days of lecture. My question to those that have gone to this is, is it worth it? Can't you get the same maintenance schedules and systems specifics from the documentation already provided by Freightliner? What is provided for $245.00?

Mike
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
It was worth it to me and many, many others. Yes, you can find most of the maintenance information other places. The class atmosphere, the instructor and the interaction with other RV owners is all part of the experience. Most attendees feel they got their money’s worth. Your decision.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best money spent. Hands on is Freightliner Camp II. Have to complete I to get to II. You will learn more about your exact VIN chassis than you can absorb. Mike gets it down very specific. It is not a lecture.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

Oh yes.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every single penny. I still refer to the handout book frequently 2 years later.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep. Been there, it’s worth it. Several, including myself, try to get their service scheduled while there. They know what they’re doing.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Far surpasses the time and money invested.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

YES. Attended the late Feb class!!
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It depends on our level of maint experience. This class is for more newbies. I can fix most anything. Waste of time and $ for me.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
I have a chance to attend Camp Freightliner. It looks like it is $245 and there is no hands on. They apparently show you a chassis but it looks like I'd be paying for two days of lecture. My question to those that have gone to this is, is it worth it? Can't you get the same maintenance schedules and systems specifics from the documentation already provided by Freightliner? What is provided for $245.00?

Mike
Mike,
You'll mostly get "Yays" on here from those have taken the class. Much of what you get from Mikes class is dependant of what you already have as a knowledge base in the first place. When a buddy and myself took it while at the Winnebago/Itasca Grand National Rally back in '14, it was a waste of time, AND MONEY for both of us. WE already knew all the maintenance and the like, when we took it. That class, was made up of about 30 or so people. TWO of them, were CAT people and the rest were Cummins.

The two, were us. And, upon our first break, we asked Mike on just how "in depth" this class is gonna get, after telling him our capabilities. His reply was, "You two won't get anything out of what I'm teaching here" He went on to say that, this class is waaaaay more for the beginner and novice DIY types. And besides that, he said both of you have CATs and, the overwhelming majority of the attendees, were or are, Cummins owners. And that's the way it's been for quite a while.

But, we'd already paid our dues and figured what the heck, we'll just finish the two-day class and enjoy what we could.

With all that being said, it's a great class for those that are not or have not, really dug into some major repairs, alterations, mods, adjustments, and more on their coaches, BEFORE attending the class. Maintenance is but a part of ownership of a coach. They're GONNA BREAK DOWN, it's a given. Just how much one want's to take on, for a repair, is up to them. Mike doesn't teach that. Knowing when to change oil, filters and all that, can be found quite easily without attending that class.

But, go if you feel it's gonna do you at least some good. I don't knock the class, not at all. It was just the fact that we already knew all of what he discussed.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #11

I still use my materials two years later, especially related to service intervals and whats really important at specific intervals and what is less so.

From a technical perspective I found most of the information informative though some of it I feel was incorrect. The instructor was a great guy, but could be short at times when he thought he knew what you were going to ask before you actually finished asking your question. That was interesting.

Overall I would recommend it.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #12

Thanks, yeah I figured. I know how many of the systems function and I already have documentation provided by Freightliner as to when to provide maintenance and the like. I would not expect to be told how to rebuild the breaking system but if I spent the money just to be told when to change the oil or how to call up diagnostics on the transmission I would not be happy.

Mike
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
Thanks, yeah I figured. I know how many of the systems function and I already have documentation provided by Freightliner as to when to provide maintenance and the like. I would not expect to be told how to rebuild the breaking system but if I spent the money just to be told when to change the oil or how to call up diagnostics on the transmission I would not be happy.

Mike
Mike,
Mike Cody, the main instructor for the class, is a great guy and, does a great job of conveying pertinent info for various subjects and applications. But, let's face it, if you take 100 guys that are gonna take that class, if I had to guess, I'd say less than 5 would be above the level of the class teaching and subject matter. Thus, you'd have 95 guys that got a lot out of that class. I don't fault anyone for taking the class, especially if you're really not a DIY type in terms of heavy maintenance/alterations/mods/repairs etc. If you just want to know about your coach/chassis, and the basics of how things work and when to maintenance them, you can't go wrong.

But, if you're the type of guy that's been into grease for most your life, either as a mechanic or, just an in-depth DIY type, the class is gonna waste your time and money.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I would say this. It all depends on the year of your coach. If you have a 2002 chassis and you are with chassis 2016 and up. Then very little time will be spend on those early years.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner