Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking at purchasing a different motor home (probably a Journey)and the one major difference is in the engine. I would appreciate any feedback on the overall difference in these 2 engines. As in durability, maintenance, power, etc.

The coach length is 36', and I will be towing a 3500# toad. Will be traveling on roads in all different kinds of terrain.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking at purchasing a different motor home (probably a Journey)and the one major difference is in the engine. I would appreciate any feedback on the overall difference in these 2 engines. As in durability, maintenance, power, etc.

The coach length is 36', and I will be towing a 3500# toad. Will be traveling on roads in all different kinds of terrain.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Commercial Member

Bill, I'm pretty sure the torque rating for the 2 engines is the same. So I doubt you will feel much difference in climbing power.

As you see by my signature coach, I have the 350hp version, and I am very happy with its performance. I'm sure the 330hp version would be 'about the same' in this coach.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you are comparing two CAts, and not a Cat versus Cummins, there isn't much difference. The 3126E Cat was 330 HP at 860 ft-lbs of torque. When the 3126E became the C7 series it was offered in both 330 HP and 350 HP version but both had the same 860 ft-lbs of torque. If you look closely at the horsepower graphs you'll see that the only time you see those extra 20 ponies is way at the top of the RPM band so the only time you'll notice the differnce is when the engine is revved up to climb a steep grade. 98% of the time they'll be identical in power output.

However, if you compare a 350 HP C7 to a 350 HP Cummins ISC, which has 1,050 ft-lbs of torque, there is a big difference because the ISC starts pulling down lower in the RPM range. So, that's not an apples to apples comparison. But, either engine will get the job done.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Agree with whaqt Don said. I have an '02 Horizon (same Mh as a Journey), with a 330 Cat, and I am very satisfied with it's power. We've had it almost 5 years and have pulled a Jeep Cherokee through the mountains, with no trouble.

It's a good engine.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill, I have the 330hp version of the Cat C-7. As others have said, the torque rating is the same. When I was shopping, I drove an '04 Journey with the 330 (the one I bought) and a later built '04 Journey with the 350. Both were 36G models. There are no mountains here in Florida to test on, but I couldn't tell a bit of difference in acceleration or response. If I had been blindfolded, I couldn't have told you which was which. So... I bought the 330 since the dealer offered a better price on it.

I have all the heavy options like washer/dryer, 4 door fridge, etc., and my toad also weighs about 3500#. We have been up and down most all the mountain ranges in the west several times. It just breezes up the mountains - very seldom goes below 4th gear. Normal water temp runs 190, and in the mountains I've never seen above 195. Keep in mind the Journey is fairly light for a DP. Fully loaded for a 4-6 month summer trip, I'm usually at least 2000# under GVWR.

Maintenance schedules are the same and I can't see why there would be any difference in durability. I understand the engines are structurally identical - the 350 just has a few tweaks in the ECM.

So, in my excess verbiage way, I'm saying look for one in good shape with the colors and options you want and don't worry about 330/350 thing...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
As long as we are on the subject. I have read that there is a new version of the C7 engine that produces 360 HP and 925 ft-pounds of torque. I was just wondering if my engine ECM can be upgraded to the new specs?
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also have the 330 CAT in our 36G and tow a 4,700 lb Explorer....yanked it over and through the Rocky Mountains with no problems.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
The 350 HP engine is only 5.5% more HP than the 330 HP engine.

You'll never notice that small amount.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. This confirms what I thought, but, wanted get some input from first hand experience.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #11

I would also chime in here in that I have a Fleetwood Expedition (34H) thirty five feet long and have been towing a Dodge RAM 1500. My Expedition has the 300 HP motor and the two together ride very well thru all kinds of terrain and even some snow this winter. Had a WH with the 8.1 motor and it seemed to always be working harder. The old rig (Tiffin Allegro Bay)on the 22K chassis and the new rig both get about the same fuel mileage. If I were in the market today given Diesel prices, I would probably be looking at the UFO chassis and really give it a real testing. $1.00 a gallon (more)for fuel (diesel) (if the mileage is close) and payload capacity is close, is significant, if you plan on putting on a lot of miles.
However, my alter ego is saying that yeah, the ride on the air suspension.... you know, the decision is always finally what you like.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #12

Had four gas MH's before the Expedition and even though it would be considered an entry level pusher, I would never go back to gas. The ride, power, handling and most of all reduced noise level makes the difference for me. If the price of fuel becomes that much an issue, well I guess then it just becomes a 28000 pound paper weight. Until then, we just enjoy it.

IMHO

While in Arizona this winter I had a $1000 root canal. Last week, we spent about $900 for fuel driving from Fountain Hills to northern Illinois. Pain was about the same but the ride back was much more enjoyable.

2005 Expedition 38N C7 300hp
mystere900 is offline   Reply With Quote