RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

Changing oil in Front wheel hubs - Freightliner XCS chassis

Hello-

I changed the oil in the front hubs of my RV today. The instruction manual I was using had pictures that looked a bit different than what my front wheel hubs actually looked like......

My hubs had a rubber plug (see below) instead of a "sight glass" that my manual seems to show. Since I can't actually see the fluid level, after draining the old oil out, I filled the hub about half way up. I determined what "half way" was by rotating the filler port to about the 2:30 o'clock position. If the new oil oozed out, I figured it was a little over half full.

Assuming the above is OK, my main question is this: How much oil should ideally be in that hub? Is it better to fill it to the top with the filler in the 12 o'clock position, or is just over 1/2 OK?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_164443.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	264383  

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

On my axle, different chassis, there are two circles. The minimum level that you have on your hub. The full level is a second ring that is not half way but is near the bottom of the axle shaft. Based on your photo I would guess it’s the circle close to the center.

Half full is, I believe, too much oil. I personally wouldn’t drive the coach until you can sort this out. Too much oil might be forced out and cause a leak.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
DJJ

Changing oil in Front wheel hubs - Freightliner XCS chassis

When you remove the rubber plug, the plug is between the blue and white marks in your picture, you will have the ahaaa moment. Under the plug you see the min fill level with the plug out you will see the max fill level.

The plug just pops out.

Jeff
DJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
When you remove the rubber plug, the plug is between the blue and white marks in your picture, you will have the ahaaa moment. Under the plug you see the min fill level with the plug out you will see the max fill level.

The plug just pops out.

Jeff
All through DJJ........thanks.

I did pull the plug but I don't remember seeing level marks. Too late to pull it now, anyway, as I'll lose all the fresh oil I just put in.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
All through DJJ........thanks.

I did pull the plug but I don't remember seeing level marks. Too late to pull it now, anyway, as I'll lose all the fresh oil I just put in.
Your marks are there you need to take a rag and wipe the inside of the sight glass, its dirty and looks brown, when you clean it you will see the oil and the fluid level lines.

You want to fill it and spin the wheel and let it settle to be sure you have it right.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Sounds like if you pull the rubber plug and you have oil come out then you are over full which really isn't a huge issue, just tends to leak out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil hub.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	265099  
Milford 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

Once you start to drive, centrifugal force will move the oil out to the bearing.... I have always pulled the rubber plug and added oil until it just reached the lip that holds the plug in place.... that's half way between the two circles...
Old 10-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #8

OK guys, help me out. I'm not understanding this sight glass thing.

My first post has the picture of my front wheel hub with the rubber plug in. The picture below shows what the hub looks like when the rubber plug removed. I'm not seeing a sight glass with concentric circles showing how much oil I should have in this hub?

Further, with the rubber plug out, I wouldn't be able to fill the hub with oil because the rubber plug is what is holding the fluid back. Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel hub.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	265346  
Old 10-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:

My first post has the picture of my front wheel hub with the rubber plug in. The picture below shows what the hub looks like when the rubber plug removed. I'm not seeing a sight glass with concentric circles showing how much oil I should have in this hub?

Further, with the rubber plug out, I wouldn't be able to fill the hub with oil because the rubber plug is what is holding the fluid back. Am I missing something?
Yes, you only run the oil to the line below the plug, see the photo I posted, they are all the same as far as oil levels go
Old 10-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:

The ring on your photo is the line, but if you just fill it a bit below the plug opening you will be fine
Old 10-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
The ring on your photo is the line, but if you just fill it a bit below the plug opening you will be fine
Which line, I assume the white line? Someone painted a white line and a blue line. I assumed the white line was the min oil level and the blue line was the max oil level? So when I fill the hub with oil, since I can't see the fluid level (no sight glass), I filled it up so that when I rotated the fill hole to around the 2:30 position-ish, I was guessing I was around that blue line, which I thought was a max fill line. I guess I should take a little oil out as it is likely overfilled?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 AM   #12

Yes, lower the oil to the embedded or molded upper line below the center plug

It will seep out and make a mess otherwise
Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Yes, lower the oil to the embedded or molded upper line below the center plug

It will seep out and make a mess otherwise
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #14

….hate to burst your bubble here but given the design of most DP front hubs, the majority of the oil is in the hollow behind the bearing race....unless you remove the hub from the spindle and dump it or you remove the outside bearing and find a way to suck out the oil in the hollow, you really didn't accomplish much of a "replacement." Accordingly, the fill line probably isn't that big a deal.....bottom of the plug opening is likely "good enough!"

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner