Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
chassis battery power drain

When my RV is hooked to shore power and I have the coach and chassis batteries switches turned on, I seem to get a low battery warning on the DIC. What is the power drain coming from? I thought when you were hooked to shore power that your batteries were continuously being charged. I have turned off the chassis battery switch, waiting to see if that changes anything.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
When my RV is hooked to shore power and I have the coach and chassis batteries switches turned on, I seem to get a low battery warning on the DIC. What is the power drain coming from? I thought when you were hooked to shore power that your batteries were continuously being charged. I have turned off the chassis battery switch, waiting to see if that changes anything.
On many motor homes the chassis battery is only charged when the engine is running...exactly like the batteries in cars and trucks which have NO house batteries or on-board charging devices... (except an alternator).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I, too, was having this problem and a RV tech told me the inverter needs to be on to charge the chassis batteries. I don't really understand but I have now been leaving it on and it seems to help. I'm not saying this is the answer... just adding a tidbit to the conversation. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will confirm or debunk.

2004 Damon Escaper 4194 on Freightliner chassis
Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger
Freedom Remote Panel with separate Charge and Inverter buttons.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to get a voltmeter and measure the voltage on the batteries to answer that question.

Some coaches do not charge the chassis batteris when on shore power and some do.

Even if yours is supposed to, it might be broke.....so get out that volt meter.....

Dan
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chassis batteries are constantly drained by a variety of sources... engine/transmission computers, dash radios etc.

Other posters are correct in that on your model the chassis batteries do not charge when connected to shore power; only the house batteries are charging.

Easiest solution - get a Trik-L-Charger or similar product (now installed as standard on Winnebagos.) It bridges the batteries and keeps the chassis batteries charged from the house batteries as long as shore power is keeping them charged.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post

RV tech told me the inverter needs to be on to charge the chassis batteries. I don't really understand but I have now been leaving it on and it seems to help. I'm not saying this is the answer... just adding a tidbit to the conversation. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will confirm or debunk.
Bunk!

An inverter is used to power 120 VAC devices from your house battery. Your Chassis batteries are 12 VDC therefore you need 12 VDC power to charge your 12 VDC Chassis batteries.

You should have a device on board that converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC that is called a converter. That device will charge you House batteries and someties the Chassis batteries too IF the manufacturer has designed the circuit to do just that. Not all coaches are wired to charge both right from the factory.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Bunk!

An inverter is used to power 120 VAC devices from your house battery. Your Chassis batteries are 12 VDC therefore you need 12 VDC power to charge your 12 VDC Chassis batteries.

You should have a device on board that converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC that is called a converter. That device will charge you House batteries and someties the Chassis batteries too IF the manufacturer has designed the circuit to do just that. Not all coaches are wired to charge both right from the factory.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
How do you tell if you have this device. I do have a solar panel, but I think it just keeps house batteries topped off.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A 2000 watt inverter/charger is standard on your coach, and an optional 2800 is installed if you have the French door residential fridge. The control panel is probably in your utility panel by the tank gauges etc.

Yes, the solar panel is just for a trickle charge to the house batteries.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Invertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
A 2000 watt inverter/charger is standard on your coach, and an optional 2800 is installed if you have the French door residential fridge. The control panel is probably in your utility panel by the tank gauges etc.

Yes, the solar panel is just for a trickle charge to the house batteries.
I do have a 2800 watt inverter - how does this and or what setting do I use to make the chassis batteries recharge and or hold a charge while on shore power?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
I do have a 2800 watt inverter - how does this and or what setting do I use to make the chassis batteries recharge and or hold a charge while on shore power?
I don't know about the 2014 Itasca Meridian 34B...but on many coaches an "accessory charging device" must be added if the owner wants the chassis battery(s) to charge with the on-board inverter/charger.
(Like a Trik-L-Start... an Echo Charger...etc.).
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All these coaches are different when it comes to what is charging what. FWIW, here's how mine work:

- When plugged into shore power. Coach batteries are charged. When that charge reaches 13.3, the coach batteries let the charge pass through and the chassis batteries are charged as long as the charge rate is 13.3 or higher.

- When driving. Chassis batteries are charged. When that charge reaches 13.3, the chassis batteries let the charge pass through to the coach batteries and they are charged as long as the charge rate is 13.3 or higher.

It might not make sense, but that's how it works.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mine works identical to yours BUT there are important devices used in the electrical system to make it work that way but it doesn't happen by magic.

Mine is probably different than others as sometime these coaches are like "snowflakes".

I have a Battery Maintainer, a BIRD (which is partially used), a Battery Maintainer Lock-Out Relay plus a Battery Isolator Relay ALL of which are used to keep the Chassis battery charged when on shore/generator power and the House batteries charged when the Cummins engine is running.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambert Battery Maintainer-01.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	138545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Run Electrical Bay-01.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	138546  

Name:	Rear Run Electrical Bay-02.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	138547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Run Electrical Bay-03.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	138548  

Name:	Rear Run Electrical Bay-04.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	138549  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't get confused by the answers given here or try to compare you systems to anyone else as they are different and many others may have customized their installations.
suggest you go to the website and study your system diagrams. it may be as simple as a loose connection to your (INVERTER/CHARGER SYSTEM).
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_183752.pdf
and here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_184894.pdf

It would appear the xantrex unit charges your batteries so check to make sure the ems remote is in the charge condition.
I am not very familiar with your particular MH but find these parasite discharges a real pain. I found the lamp under the steps to be a drain.

Tags
battery, chassis, power