Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check Engine Light Question

All:

On a recent trip, about two hours into hwy driving, I felt a slight engine shudder followed by a check engine light. A quick inspection of gauges showed only my exhaust temps gauge moving radically up and down (300 ISB with Banks). I pulled over and shutdown for about 15 minutes. I restarted no light, no engine problems, so I moved on to our home with two days of driving and no further issues. I keep all filters, fluids, etc serviced and up to date.

Before I take it to Freightliner in Bryan Tx., can I get some advise?

1. Any ideas about what might have happend?
2. Is it worth the 90 minute drive and $106.00 to tell me what the codes are?
3. Do I have any other options for checking the codes myself? I see these devices for sale for cars?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Maybe try this.

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
This will let you read the codes.
ScanGaugeD - Advanced J1939 & J1708 compatible Vehicle Monitor for Diesel Pusher Vehicles : Linear Logic

Dick
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
KIX

VMSpc x 2
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
VMSpc X 3
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I can't find a price on the VMSpc web site. It's always a bit scary when the supplier is afraid to publish the price without giving a pitch. Any of you guys know how much it costs?
Dick
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
With both of these devices, do they have some sort of a "translation" for the codes that my FLXC and Cummins 300 are logging?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
With both of these devices, do they have some sort of a "translation" for the codes that my FLXC and Cummins 300 are logging?
This link may be of some help. Cummins Codes - Fault codes by engine model.

Dick
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
great thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the ScanGauge and discovered that there was no error or trouble code! So I am assuming that not all "check-engine" lights result with an error code?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #11

I have had the same "Check Engine" light and engine de-rate issue happen a few times. I took it into Cummins in Messa, AZ and $150 later they determined there were no fault codes logged and could not find any problems. When they looked at the ECM history, there were NO fault codes logged during the life of the engine.

It has happened a couple of times since.

So, now I pull off the road when it is safe and convenient, shut off the engine for a few minutes and re-start. The Check Engine light clears and everything is normal. On down the road we go.

I have tried cleaning all the electrical connections and still have had it occur. I believe it originates from the "Low Coolant Sensor" but have not been able to prove.
When the problem happens I have tested the sensor and it is OK. IMO, this is the only sensor that can fault and then clear itself and cause the "Check Engine" light to come on. When it causes the Check Engine fault, the engine goes into de-rate. Turning the switch off and on, clears the fault and we are back to square one.

I don't think the sensor is faulty. I believe the problem is due to the location of the low coolant sensor in the surge tank.
It is located directly in the flow from the engine into the tank and I think that under certain conditions, the change in flow will cause the sensor to "bounce" enough that it trips the alarm and causes the fault but re-sets itself. However, now that the Check Engine fault has occurred, the only way to clear is to shut down and re-start.

Each time this happens, all Pressures and Temperatures are normal and there is no fault code recorded in the ECM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

Check engine Light

Will discharged chassis batteries cause the CEL to light? And, can it be extinguished by removing the batteries charging and re-installing them? It is in storage for a bit more so over the road is not part of the problem.

Geezerb
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I had the same problem engine light then lower power shut off reset and on my way. After three years of frustration and some terrible information I finally broke down right in-front of a RV and Diesel repair shop. Just so happened I had to exit due to the issue and drove into this shop. Ended up the timing sensor a $49.00 item can you believe ? I had been convinced by another repair shop that it was the fuel pump and the lift pump $2400.00 later and I still had the same problem and a very dirty motor home.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Original Walk Through

During our walk-thru with the dealer prior to driving off with my coach, I was warned that on occasion steep grades may cause the coolant fluid level warning light to show an erroneous check engine warning.

The advice I was given suggested that I pull over when I got to more level ground, let the engine run down to clear the oil from the turbines, and then shut her down for a few minutes. 5- 10 is what was recommended. Then start her back up, and away I could go.

I have not encountered any steep grades along the southern coast yet, although I am planning to take a trip this summer to the mountains in West Virginia.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote