RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Chuffing sound from rear when driving.

When I first start off from a stop I am hearing a sound like either scraping soft material or venting air but quieter. At first it goes in time with wheel rotations then levels out until about 10mph in spite of the wheels going faster. After about 20mph I hear nothing. Any ideas? I wondered about compressed air venting but didn't think it would be able to continue like that. The dryer has 23,000 mi on it and I have not replaced it yet. Scraping brakes would continue to increase in speed, not level off. We are traveling so I am nervous about it. Anybody else hear that on their rig?

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #2

Sounds like maybe a boost leak. As you pick up speed the road noise doesn't stop, but it becomes hard to hear because of the wind and road noise.

Have one person drive and the other listen from over the engine. If it is a boost leak it increases with more throttle.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Sounds like maybe a boost leak. As you pick up speed the road noise doesn't stop, but it becomes hard to hear because of the wind and road noise.

Have one person drive and the other listen from over the engine. If it is a boost leak it increases with more throttle.
Boost as in turbo? I will have the DW listen when we move it next on Tuesday or Wednesday and post the results. Is a boost leak dangerous?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

A boost leak would be from the turbo plumbing. Its only filtered air so not dangerous but it will rob power from the engine.

There are a few short hose connections, between the 3" pipes, that can leak, causing a noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Boost as in turbo? I will have the DW listen when we move it next on Tuesday or Wednesday and post the results. Is a boost leak dangerous?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have Centramatic wheel balancers?
I used them years ago and they sounded similar to what you are describing.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Good question.I hope so. I looked at the website. I don't have balance weights so I must have those or beads. I'll look and see. The DW says it is louder in the bedroom.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
No Centramatics. I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
The chuffing does stop after up to a dozen chuffs.Throttle makes it into a longer chufffff sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A boost leak would be from the turbo plumbing. Its only filtered air so not dangerous but it will rob power from the engine.

There are a few short hose connections, between the 3" pipes, that can leak , causing a noise.
I will get the DW's stuff out from under the bed and open the hatch to look.

Here are some things I have found.
It is the same sound as the air pressure relief. I have not changed the dryer yet as it only has 24,000 mi on it but it is an 2008.I have a new one, just not installed yet.
If I put the coach in neutral while at the stop and keep my foot on the brake it will not make the noise.
It only started about a thousand miles into this trip.

Does any of this suggest anything?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I found some discussions about boost leaks and folks were talking about checking the boost level via the dash digital display. I have the Freightliner display. I have never been able to make any sense of it. Spent an hour and a half while on the Cape May Lewes Ferry. The DW tried to wade through the book to find out how to find the boost level or anything for that matter. I'd love to be able to work it. Are their any online courses about using that? The Manual makes me crazy!