Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Clearance and driving lights

On our 2001 Sportscoach built on a Freightliner XC chassis, the headlights, tail lights and turn signals work but the clearance, parking and driving lights do not. I have read on the forum that they are controlled by relays. Where are these relays and how do you test them? Are replacements only available through Freightliner or are they available elsewhere? There is no Sportscoach forum so this is where I thought I should look for help. Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Your coach builder determines where the Freightliner supplied relay/fuse boxes are located. On my Holiday Rambler, they are in the storage bay, drivers side, front of coach. My guess is that they will be somewhere near the front of the coach.

They are common relays that can be purchased at any auto parts store. Get the number off the relay, and buy a couple of spares. Shop around as the cost of the relays varies greatly.

Fred
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Does anyone know if the rear clearance lights are supposed to be red or amber? I was recently at an RV service center and looked at a lot of MH parked there. I noticed noticed that on most MH, they are red, but some were amber. Is there a law regarding the color?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #4

The law for clearance lights are, amber are forward and side facing and red are rear facing.
Openroad3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

High-jacking a thread

Thanks, Fred Cooper for the input. Hey guys, it is rude to high Jack someone elses thread like you did. This steers away people who might be able to help me with my problem. If you have a different question, start your own thread. Thank You, DACOTAH
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
Thanks, Fred Cooper for the input. Hey guys, it is rude to high Jack someone elses thread like you did. This steers away people who might be able to help me with my problem. If you have a different question, start your own thread. Thank You, DACOTAH
FWIW: I learned more from the "hijack" than the original question.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
On our 2001 Sportscoach built on a Freightliner XC chassis, the headlights, tail lights and turn signals work but the clearance, parking and driving lights do not. I have read on the forum that they are controlled by relays. Where are these relays and how do you test them? Are replacements only available through Freightliner or are they available elsewhere? There is no Sportscoach forum so this is where I thought I should look for help. Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
Just looked through, my wiring diagrams, ( obtained by joining Access Freightliner) and for my 99, there are seperate fuses for clearance and tail lights, after the relay in the system. As in other posts , relay and fuse locations vary by manufacturer, so a real search may be in order. So far I've found Freightliner fuses in three locations in my coach, and Newmar fuses in another four. AND I'm not sure I've found them all, but I've got a pile of notes on what I've found so far. Call The Freightliner help line, then join Access Freightliner, the info there is well worth your time and effort . Then you can down load the diagrams for your chassis.
2x, on relay price checking, I've been quoted $8, to $30 for the same relay.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Thaks, SKIP 426!!! that was very helpful. I have found a fuse block for the driving lights and docking lights and when I jump power from the docking lights to the driving lights, they work. This means either a break in that wire or a blown fuse somewhere between the fuse block and the switch. I will contact Freightliner but I think the problem is in the Sportscoach wiring. These problems take hours to diagnose without a diagram, and the new owners of Sportscoach do not have any info on the older coaches. Thanks again for helping and I will contact Freightliner. DACOTAH

Tags
lights