Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Confused by CAT Scale Readings

As a new owner of 2009 Tiffin Phaeton on a XC-R Raised Rail Chassis, I had to have the coach weighed before I go to the tax office for title and registration. I went to the local TA truck stop and used the 3 plate CAT scale. I don't understand the readings. They don't seem logical - should there really be more weight on the TAG than on the drive axle? Can the drive and TAG readings be reversed by the CAT scale? I had it parked with a scale plate divider between the drive and TAG and with the front tires on the forward plate. The unit is completely empty. Should I call Freightliner? Thanks, Larry

-------------------Brochure ----Sticker-------CAT Scale Description----CAT Scale Readings
GVWR --------------42,600------42400-------Gross Weight-------------32520
GAWR – Front ------12,600------12400-------Steer Axle----------------12680
GAWR – Rear--------20,000------20000--------Drive Axle----------------9460
GAWR – Tag Axle --10,000------10000-------Trailer Axle---------------10380
GCWR --------------52,600
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lf4093 View Post
As a new owner of 2009 Tiffin Phaeton on a XC-R Raised Rail Chassis, I had to have the coach weighed before I go to the tax office for title and registration. I went to the local TA truck stop and used the 3 plate CAT scale. I don't understand the readings. They don't seem logical - should there really be more weight on the TAG than on the drive axle? Can the drive and TAG readings be reversed by the CAT scale? I had it parked with a scale plate divider between the drive and TAG and with the front tires on the forward plate. The unit is completely empty. Should I call Freightliner? Thanks, Larry

-------------------Brochure ----Sticker-------CAT Scale Description----CAT Scale Readings
GVWR --------------42,600------42400-------Gross Weight-------------32520
GAWR – Front ------12,600------12400-------Steer Axle----------------12680
GAWR – Rear--------20,000------20000--------Drive Axle----------------9460
GAWR – Tag Axle --10,000------10000-------Trailer Axle---------------10380
GCWR --------------52,600
Larry, I would try again. were you going into the scale in the right direction? Try just doing the front and the drive and tag.
Let us know what you find out.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree, weigh it again but yours is not the first I have read about with higher tag weights. They can be adjusted.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks! - I checked again with the same results. I heard that the TAG axle bag being over inflated can also make the steer axle over weight. Mine are over 280 lbs. It all seems to make sense now. Can any Freightliner shop adjust the pressures or does someone have a recommendation? Larry
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, your tag AND front are over....
easy fix on our different chassis - just twist the dial on top of our tag pressure guage & done -
just lessen pressure on tag and like a simple lever it will lessen pressure on front.

Dunno about your chassis, you might search your manual... good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuageCapture.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	172940   Click image for larger version

Name:	tagCapture.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	172941  

Tags
cat, fuse