Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

Coolant reservoir

I have a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star with a Cat 3406 and a Freightliner XC chassis. Does anyone know where I can get an original replacement coolant reservoir? I have checked Dorman who makes the Freightliner replacements but not an exact of mine. I have been told by the truck parts store they also are the supplier for Freightliner.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Is your unit a side rad or rear rad? Have you looked in this forum for discussions on the surge tanks? There are photos of at least 2 different models of surge tanks. Some are only available from FL. Take a picture and post it. I am sure you will get lots of responses
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsturnin View Post
I have a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star with a Cat 3406 and a Freightliner XC chassis. Does anyone know where I can get an original replacement coolant reservoir? I have checked Dorman who makes the Freightliner replacements but not an exact of mine. I have been told by the truck parts store they also are the supplier for Freightliner.
Wheels,
As the previous poster stated, it would be nice to know if yours was the side or rear radiator. In the pic below, this is our coach with the rear radiator. The "surge/overflow" tank is on top of the radiator and to the right. You will not find those at any auto parts store or, just about anywhere on line with. They are predominantly sold at Freightliner. My replacement one cost me about $121.00 out the door, plus or minus, since it was a while ago.

It was not fun to put in but, doable.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

We can always count on Fire Up to help out with pictures and more!! Really helps!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #5

The radiator is a left side mount. The reservoir is oval ish, pressurized, not an overflow and is mounted just inside the engine compartment near the center/top on brackets. It has two intake hoses on the left side, one overflow on the radiator cap throat and one large hose on the bottom and a filler cap on the right side. I was able to find a part #06-17480 with freightliner on the front.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Why not call Freightliner (factory, not dealer) and see what they are supplying? You can order parts direct from Ftl and in my experience prices are competitive. If you like, call the FCCC Customer Service line and discuss the problem with them. Most likely they will give you the part number you need and a name & phone number to call at FCCC parts.

My new surge tank was $203 for a stainless steel type (repalced problematic plastic one).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

We have a cummins. The part number in the accessfreightliner site list the part number as 05-17460-00. This one is oval shaped. I also have the left side radiator. When I had a leak in this surge tank the dealer put the style that is in the picture above.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Cummins ISC did not come with a tesevoir, but
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, fat fingers.

Did not come with a reservoir but I want to a done. Any fine points that I need to consider?
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #10

I was unable to find any source for an original surge tank accept from Freightliner. I was told at the parts store that Dorman manufactures Freightliners tanks, but couldn't find one. The old part number has been changed several times. The new number is #86816, at a cost of $126.00 including Cal. state and local tax. They do not have it available in stainless or aluminum.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #11

My original surge tank part number was 05-17460-000. While I had it in for repair the shop broke the tank. It had an oval oblong shape. They replaced it with the surge tank shown above. The freight liner number for this tank is 05-23045-001