Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am in the process of trying to figure out how to pull the radiator on my 2001 xc with a 3126E Cat. Can I ask a few questions

I am assuming this is a rear radiator coach as my Discovery is. If not then all of the following is not useful.

I did my Fleetwood Discovery this spring but it has a Cummins ISB so take my answers with a grain of salt.

How did you reach the hoses on the radiator if you cannot remove the fan shroud? did you take them off the block side?

Some hoses I took off from the back and some from the front. Take off whatever you need to remove the radiator/CAC stack and then the rest will be easy.

how did you drain your fluid?

I pulled the big hose off of the transmission cooler to drain the coolant. Found later that there is a drain on the drivers side bottom of the radiator.

Did you have to disconnect the fuel lines when you cut the fuel filter off the bracket?

Did not touch any fuel lines.

Did you have to disconnect the hydraulic hoses from the reservoir, and if so did you have to drain and replace that fluid?

I just unbolted the hydraulic reservoir from the radiator and moved it to the curb side. I did not disconnect any hoses or have any fluid leakage.

I have been looking for as many threads as i can find.

I will likely replace my radiator because its rusting out on the bottom, but the urgent reason for removal is that my Front Main seal is leaking and i have to get access to fix this oil leak, while I am doing this I planning on doing many of the things on your list while i am at it.
After removing the radiator/CAC stack the "front" of the engine was readily accessible. Probably just have to remove the flywheel dampener to get access to the front main seal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
looks bacwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I have this picture of the fan , from the engine side ( it's on a Cummins unfortunately ) but the fan looks the same.

EDIT: Found this, re the fan blade .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/fan-...-a-290561.html
Hi Skip,
I looked at the picture and noticed the oil fill cap near the radiator hose. On mine the fill cap is at the opposite end. Is it possible that mine is incorrect.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJS View Post
Hello everyone,

I thought I would follow up on this overhaul. I managed to complete the work myself and we are currently on a trip, about 400 miles in. Results are encouraging.
Total cost $1176

I hate to think what freightliner would have charged for the same work, .
NathanJS congratulations on a job well done. I went through the same on mine lasts year at about the same cost. Afterwards I found a cracked manifold and now an external head leak. It seems it never ends.

Thanks for the updated info.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #18

Nice job ! I have been wanting to do the same on my 05 Journey with the 350 cat .
Just because , so I have a reference point . To know all items are in the best of shape . Belts , idlers ect . Although I only have 38K miles on it . IM curious as to how many miles would you say its been since it was last done . If you know . or the current mileage . As the radiator didnt look so bad from the picture . At least from the picture shown .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #19

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.

The rig is a 1999 Airstream Cutter, about 51K on the clock right now, about 1750 hours on the motor according to the cat ecm. When it was last done is a good question, what I can say is I know its been done before based on the condition of the bolts holding the rad and cac together (some cross threaded). They never did the crank case vent modification which I suspect is why this was an ongoing problem. Time will tell I suppose.
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
NathanJS congratulations on a job well done. I went through the same on mine lasts year at about the same cost. Afterwards I found a cracked manifold and now an external head leak. It seems it never ends.

Thanks for the updated info.
Got to wonder if those issues are a result of the marginal cooling system on these rigs. Cracked heads seems so extreme for the type of use these motorhomes see. I know guys who hauled 80,000 pounds with FL70 trucks and ran the motors past 250K.
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cooling