Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Counter-intuitive improved heater performance

About an hour and a half into our first long winter RV trip, I was thinking about the poor dash heat situation. It suddenly hit me that "Max A/C" would recirculate air through the system instead of bringing in frigid outside air, and that the heater might perform quite a lot better trying to heat 60f air instead of 20f.

Bingo! We now have excellent heater performance, and it still is governed by the temp control. I don't know if the a/c compressor automatically runs or if the compressor clutch is switched on and off by the temp control, but to be honest, I'm so happy about having warm feet that I don't care!

We will be in reliably warm weather soon and away from my workshop for quite awhile, but I'm thinking about what it would take to add a recirculate control. IIRC, the air control shutters are air powered (vacuum?). It should be possible to control recirc with a solenoid valve similar to the half-dozen under the hood of our cars. That would allow all of the vent positions, including defrost, to actually deliver reasonably hot air.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run on "Max A/C" with the temperature set to high in the winter because it does turn on the air conditioning which removes the moisture from the air inside the coach and keeps my windshield from fogging up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a recirculate button on my controls and it works great when you need more heat or AC.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a clear plastic shower curtain my DW got at bed bath and beyond. I strung a strong wire near the ceiling and then screwed a small clip on the wire in the middle to the ceiling to minimize the gap. We Then used paper clips as hangers on the curtain to slide on the wire. One end is also secured to the side wall permanently. when pulled away from the wall the two sides stay together in the middle with magnetic strips.

we stow the curtain next to the wall behind the forward seats when not used. I made some custom holders to keep the curtain contained next to the walls when not use. Use some heavy gauge aluminum wire as clips. When we do use them is for cold or hot conditions when we really want comfort in the cockpit.

Also use them at night when it is really cold out to minimize the loss of the furnace air against all the front window glass. These curtain are available in various length and we use two of them to cover the front cockpit area.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I just turn the furnance on set to 60 deg and the dashboard heater works fine.
AISTQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The heat/AC controls in my coach are right out of the 60s, twist knobs and all. So I have to think about my old Malibu when operating them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for this tip. Recently helped when out in the southwest where it's suppose to be warm but below freezing much.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The heat/AC controls in my coach are right out of the 60s, twist knobs and all. So I have to think about my old Malibu when operating them.
Same here. Two buttons ( A/C & Recirculate).
I always recirculate when heating, but still not enough heat.
Engine runs around 190 on the flat, but I think the 40ft hose run gives it time to cool down
before getying into the heater core.

AND I AM IN SO. CALIF

Dan

Tags
heat, heater