Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

Describe loss of power. I'd be checking turbo boost pressure. Are you smoking or burning oil. Any fault codes? Overheating? Other than turbo, could be high pressure pump, can plumb in gauge to check if its output is good or not, does your coach have a lift pump to supply to high pressure pump ? X2 on seeing a new mechanic.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
Describe loss of power. I'd be checking turbo boost pressure. Are you smoking or burning oil. Any fault codes? Overheating? Other than turbo, could be high pressure pump, can plumb in gauge to check if its output is good or not, does your coach have a lift pump to supply to high pressure pump ? X2 on seeing a new mechanic.
Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I posted in 3 IRV2 forums and EVERYONE is saying the same thing

My power loss is intermittent and each time it occurs, the Check Engine light glows and I loose power to the point wher the engine is not responsive to the accelerator and I can’t go faster than 20 MPH on flat road with the pedal floored. It can cycle 5- 8 times in 20 miles.

I do have leaking coolant. I can see the drops on the driveway. No smoke- I don’t think coolant is getting past the head gaskets. The mechanic said that when he raised the bed and removed the cover, he saw coolant where it shouldn’t be as he looked down into the engine bay.

All of the filters were changed less than 45 days and 100 miles ago. This unit sat most of its life with light use. The gen set only has 400 hours.
FCoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #17

Does it start overheating when it does this?
If it sat for long time, how long, could have bacterial growth in fuel, can get a bug check kit to check for that.
Get the codes read by someone that has the diagnostic equipment for it
Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #18

You said it cycles 5 times or so in 20 miles. That tells me issue is not internal to the motor.
If it's not belching black smoke , then prob not turbo, I say probably not.
More than likely fuel supply, be it bad fuel, lift pump or pressure pump or injector issue.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #19

As you described your situation I was experiencing dejavu!
It is possible you have two issues. #1 the leaking coolant: check the surge tank for cracks.
The plastic tanks for these had many problems and mine needed replacing after finally letting go. #2 engine bogging down. In addition to the water/fuel separator, you may also have one of the little know about inline filters that are mounted up on the inside frame behind and above the right rear wheel. Good idea to check the separator again as well. If you had bad fuel or junk in the tank it will clog up a new filter very quickly.
I went through 8 filters over 1200 miles before all the black sand worked it way out.
BTW, X3 on a new mechanic.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #20

No overheating
Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
You said it cycles 5 times or so in 20 miles. That tells me issue is not internal to the motor.
If it's not belching black smoke , then prob not turbo, I say probably not.
More than likely fuel supply, be it bad fuel, lift pump or pressure pump or injector issue.
or all of the above!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #22

That other filter underneath is small and hidden. It looks just like this
https://m.ebay.com/itm/FREIGHTLINER-...-/142159980583
They are called a fuel strainer and mine was clogged solid. I had to pull it and replace with a piece of straight pipe to get back going again.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #23

Starting to get the dead petal thing........common when main injector pump is on it's way out....BD Diesel has the best deal going....my pump lasted for 160,000 miles before that happened...not that bad of a job to change....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #24

Dreaded Cracked Block- Cummins ISB 5.9L

So Im at Freightliner now.

The block is cracked. I have the dreaded 50 something weak block

Freightliner does not repair or replace the engine blocks- advises the job is a PIA and likely $20K with labor. They suggest a Cummins dealer

2000 Bounder.

I know the rig isnt worth the $$

What should I do?

Is it time to quit?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
For a time Cummins got block castings from a Brazilian company that made them prone to cracking. They have the number 53 on the block. There are repairs possible without replacing the block, if you like everything else about the RV you could try the repair and get more use out of it.

Cummins 53 Block Casting Information

A Google search of the Cummins 5.9 block 53 repair will likely show more information.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #26

My guess is a fuel and or filter problem...
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
If you look at the block sides from underneath, you should see signs of coolant or oil leaks out of cracks in the block if it is the '53' problem. In addition, the oil should show signs of coolant contamination. Block cracks don't explain your loss of power. I'd look further for a GOOD mechanic or shop.

A Google search of Cummins diesel repair near Glenwood, MD show a number of options. I wouldn't part it out yet!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, cummins, engine