Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Do you guys all have ISL 9's
So far no issues but this one sounds like it is something and very aggravating

Yes on the isl 9. Update. Fault code 4769. Checked coolant routing coolant control valve, was good. ECM recall calibration update, updated with SS1033000. Did not clear fault. Replaced DEF header, lock ring, o ring, 2 gallons of DEF. All under warranty. $1434.38 in parts. Cummins got charged the hours @ $180.00 an hr. Drove it home 30 mi. and topped off fuel for trip Sunday. Seems fine. Will know more Sunday after the 7 hr drive. Don’t know if it may be the materials there using in the header to make it go bad or not. Did not see the part, should’ve asked.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an The isl 9 380 hp and just left the Gaffney repair shop on Wednesday they found a loose buss connector and some relays partially seated. So far after multiple starts and 400+ miles no codes for a change. Hope this does the job.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterod View Post
I have an The isl 9 380 hp and just left the Gaffney repair shop on Wednesday they found a loose buss connector and some relays partially seated. So far after multiple starts and 400+ miles no codes for a change. Hope this does the job.
As previously mentioned our RV was towed to Freightliner shop in Fort Pierce, FL on December 28th. We drove back home with the car. Finally on January 24th the repair was done, the DEF tank head was replaced and so far this problem is gone. When we took possession of our RV i noticed vibration from the back when initial motion initiated. I did not want to deal with this dealer for this situation i realized the towing driver re-installed the universal shaft but did not lined up the end forks leading to uneven torque has it rotates. I am trying to obtain resolution from the towing company, either they send someone to redo proper install or they reimburse the cost of having fixed. It's interesting how one issue leads to another..
So, if your RV gets towed make sure the universal shaft end forks are lined up. This requires the transmission attachment fork and the differential attachment fork to be lined up. I can only think that the RV rear wheels must rotate to achieve such result with precision.
claferri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJR. View Post
Yes on the isl 9. Update. Fault code 4769. Checked coolant routing coolant control valve, was good. ECM recall calibration update, updated with SS1033000. Did not clear fault. Replaced DEF header, lock ring, o ring, 2 gallons of DEF. All under warranty. $1434.38 in parts. Cummins got charged the hours @ $180.00 an hr. Drove it home 30 mi. and topped off fuel for trip Sunday. Seems fine. Will know more Sunday after the 7 hr drive. Don’t know if it may be the materials there using in the header to make it go bad or not. Did not see the part, should’ve asked.

So far so good, no lights, down to about half a tank on the DEF.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by claferri View Post
As previously mentioned our RV was towed to Freightliner shop in Fort Pierce, FL on December 28th. We drove back home with the car. Finally on January 24th the repair was done, the DEF tank head was replaced and so far this problem is gone. When we took possession of our RV i noticed vibration from the back when initial motion initiated. I did not want to deal with this dealer for this situation i realized the towing driver re-installed the universal shaft but did not lined up the end forks leading to uneven torque has it rotates. I am trying to obtain resolution from the towing company, either they send someone to redo proper install or they reimburse the cost of having fixed. It's interesting how one issue leads to another..
So, if your RV gets towed make sure the universal shaft end forks are lined up. This requires the transmission attachment fork and the differential attachment fork to be lined up. I can only think that the RV rear wheels must rotate to achieve such result with precision.

I hope I never need towed, but TY
Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #20

Filled the tank back up with about 7.5 gal of def and the gauges seem fine and system works like it supposed to after a 3000 mi. ride. [emoji2]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	239740Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5047.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	239741Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5055.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	239742Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	239743
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
There is a similar thread in the Newmar Forum. I posted a couple of links about DEF showing some info from YouTube about it. But check with Freightliner too, as several different stories from them about this. One thing to keep in mind, DEF has shelf life, depending on your average temps, it can go way down, and then cause problems similar to what some may be having.
One friend says to keep tank half full or less, and only add enough to get home. I think it would be better to keep it full so moisture does not degrade the DEF in the tank. But here in the SE, temp/humidity will work to degrade it, not sure what to do. Watch those videos on that thread, even if expert you will learn something. The crystallization is a known issue with the stuff, and aside from using it up and refiling not sure how to counter it, there is nothing you can add to it to get it right. Some folks who buy from Walmart (their brand) report diluted DEF, so the test strips mentioned in the video might be in order, or the next option up. Don't store it long term, is what I'm learning.

Oh, one thing most people say it to NOT GET DEF AT TRUCK STOPS, as you don't know how clean the tank is, and you don't know how long it's been sitting in the tank. Better to buy the 1 or 2.5 gallon jugs. Then learn how to read the date codes on it. All explained in those videos I posted.

On Towing, ours in 2012 was in accident, I demanded a flat tow because of the Generator Slide and if they hooked it up to a bar arrangement, it would be broken and no parts were available to fix it. So in future, on new one, it's flat bed tow, or forget it, Newmar can get it back. No TT driver is going to screw up mine.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote