Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #29

I too am new to the diesel, having mine for only one year. At first I was hesitant to stop at a truck bay, as I was not sure of the protocol, but it takes a long time to pump 100 gal into the RV at the regular island pump, and a few credit cards at least. On my second fuel stop I went to a truck/car stop and the truck bays were empty (almost) so I decided to give it a try. Access to the truck bays is by far easier, you then must walk into the building and pre-pay. You estimate the credit card amount and your card is run for that amount. (eg:80 gallons maybe as it is above empty, at $4/gal, estimate $320). Then walk back out and pump, at the high speed pump, super quick. If there are trucks waiting you pull forward and find a spot to park with all the other trucks. Then walk back into the station and get a corrected receipt. Some places do not even ask you to return, and your credit card will be automatically adjusted.
I now only use truck stops. It is just so much easier.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I75 south open tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hello Folks,

Congrats on the new coach!! Please read this entire thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/i-75-...ee-280801.html

It is advisable to modify your route to avoid this area.
Wishing you a safe trip! Let us hear from you

Best regards,
W.D.

Southbound Lanes open tonight. Here is a link to the most current information regarding the closure and opening of I75

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkNagiT...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Icrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #31

Pilot Flying J with RV lanes very good service Free Potable water lots of places just drove from Illinois to San Diego used them all the way
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457560402.665448.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	121064
rfourkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Just out of curiosity what year is your coach? (our 39s is 2005).

Also check out Discovery Owners Association on Yahoo Groups.
2004 MONTY, She is gorgeous. Ill post some pics here soon.
discovery39s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #33

Use the truck stops, like flying j or pilot truck lanes. They are easy to get into and the pumps are twice as fast if not faster. Next time you go to gas station time how long it takes to get 10 gallons on regular pump them times by 10 or 12 and that is how long you will be taking at regual gas station to fill you rig. By all means use truck stop truck lanes.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Here's info on fuel, etc. on the interstates:
I have this book and have been using it for years. My DW has become very adept at using it and makes stopping very easy.

I prefer truck stops for 2 reasons, I know they have a big turnover with their diesel, so I don't have to worry about getting "stale" diesel. I also like them because they have larger nozzles and fill ups are about half the time. They also will have windshield squeegees designed for our high windows. List can go on and on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Access to the truck bays is by far easier, you then must walk into the building and pre-pay. You estimate the credit card amount and your card is run for that amount. (eg:80 gallons maybe as it is above empty, at $4/gal, estimate $320). Then walk back out and pump, at the high speed pump, super quick. . . . . . Then walk back into the station and get a corrected receipt. Some places do not even ask you to return, and your credit card will be automatically adjusted.
Get the RV Plus card and you can pay at the pump (Pilot & Flying J), no need to go inside and no fuel limit. Fast and easy. Works great for me.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Well, the wife and I took the plunge into a Discovery DP from a gasser. Planning our trip to Florida, heading south on I75 out of Ohio, I never before paid attention to diesel availability. Do most of you stop at truck stops or do most "Gas" stations carry both? Do the combo fuel stations normally have enough room for 40' coaches or is the truck stop best due to maneuverability?

Anyone have a link to stops on I75 for Diesel?

Appreciate any help educating a newbie DP.

Thanks all,
Travel Safe
We generally use the truck stops for maneuverability but the other thing is the pumps are much faster.

I have an app on my Iphone from Allstays Truck and Travel which will show you all the truck stops anywhere you travel
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #37

As an update, we did receive our Flying J cards. Pretty cool website shows all the RV friendly locations. Pull up, fuel and no need to go in, I like it!
Thanks for the tip
discovery39s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
As an update, we did receive our Flying J cards. Pretty cool website shows all the RV friendly locations. Pull up, fuel and no need to go in, I like it!
Thanks for the tip
Good for you - I just did a trip to Upstate NY in my truck, less the coach, and saved 4 cents per gallon on gasoline also.........

g
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
save 5 cents

At murphy fuel station you can get not only a lower price in general ( usually 10 cents lower) but with the walmart credit card get 5 cents off per gallon from Walmart..
Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #40

Remember truck stop side fueling pumps faster, won't cut off at $100 like most automobile sides do, and truck side also has longer handle windshield washer and squeegee
roxy13019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy13019 View Post
Remember truck stop side fueling pumps faster, won't cut off at $100 like most automobile sides do, and truck side also has longer handle windshield washer and squeegee
None of that is worth $15 savings I get elsewhere. Plus Fast pumps foam more, I use a small ladder to really clean my windshield as part of my end of day run, I use my time at the fill to check my tire and hub temps with my IR temp gun. More over in general I dislike truck stops and prefer to fill and stay anywhere else other than a truck stop.

Tags
diesel, newbie