Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #15

On a recient trip my low air pressue warning alarm sounded. I made it to a campground and called Freightliner. I was told that if the gauge was bouncing the problem was electrical and could be caused by water in the system. He said I should drain the tanks two time and work the brake. I had it checked and a Frightliner dealer and was told that I should drain the tanks at the end of each day by a mechanic. I have been doing this and have not had problems.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #16

I have always been told that when you pull the lanyards on the air tanks that if any quantity of moisture comes from the tank, the air dryer needs to be serviced. Any air going into the tanks should be moisture free.
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #17

FCCC provides automatic moisture ejectors this eliminates the need
to drain tanks. Drain cables provided which allow tanks to be drained from
above every 6 MONTHS.
Reference: http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

Air dryer maintenance interval is 36 months. If you are seening more moisture when you pull the landyard @6 months you may have something else going on.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Not sure if you have a FLiner chassis as we do. If so, the 3 lanyards for manually draining your tanks should be located at the passenger side front wheel well. Certainly no need to get underneath!!
Not so on all Freightliner chassis. My XC "99" only has short lanyards on the tanks that require to get under the chassis to reach and use them. And only have found them on the front 2 tanks. None on the rear tank. But in the 10 years I have owned it no moisture has ever came out, when pulling the lanyards. If you do get any moisture out. It is time to change the dryer filters.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
FCCC provides automatic moisture ejectors this eliminates the need
to drain tanks. Drain cables provided which allow tanks to be drained from
above every 6 MONTHS.
Reference: http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

Air dryer maintenance interval is 36 months. If you are seening more moisture when you pull the landyard @6 months you may have something else going on.
Thanks for sharing this. There's a lot of great info in that package but I wish they would have worded this part a little more clearly. They state that they have auto moisture ejectors which eliminates the need to drain tanks but then follow it with drain tanks every six months.

For slow kids like me that could have been confusing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks for sharing this. There's a lot of great info in that package but I wish they would have worded this part a little more clearly. They state that they have auto moisture ejectors which eliminates the need to drain tanks but then follow it with drain tanks every six months.

For slow kids like me that could have been confusing.

Rick
Rick: I also read somewhere in all of my technical documentation that it is not necessary to completely drain the tanks but to hold the lanyard long enough to confirm no mositure. My guess is this is a double check that the moisture ejectors are working?

I am scheduled to go to Camp Freightliner Oct 5th & 6th at Thor (Elkhart) and this is one of the questions I will have for the instructor. I will share what I find out.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
The manual you gave a link for, also says. NOTE desiccant change intervals may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Typical desiccant cartridge life is three years. However,if experience has shown that extended or shortened life has resulted on a particular installation, then the interval can be increased or decreased accordingly. I have moved mine to a 5 year filter change and it still looks like new then.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The manual you gave a link for, also says. NOTE desiccant change intervals may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Typical desiccant cartridge life is three years. However,if experience has shown that extended or shortened life has resulted on a particular installation, then the interval can be increased or decreased accordingly. I have moved mine to a 5 year filter change and it still looks like new then.
Triker56: Thanks for pointing this out and sharing your experiences with your service life interval...could save a few bucks down the road
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #23

My 2001 Freightliner maintenance manual indicates for the Midland air dryer "Replace the coalescent filter every 12,000 miles(20 000km) or every 12 months. Inspect the desiccant when replacing the coalescent filter. Replace the desiccant as needed or every 24,000 miles (40 000 km) or every 24 months." Since my air dryer is difficult to access without dirt getting into it I always remove the unit for service. Since we seldom do the mileage I go by the monthly service interval, however I have always used the 24 month time period.
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I dropped my 2007 Ellipse 40FD w/Cummins 400ISL off for annual service this morning at my favorite Freightliner Oasis dealer in Tolleson, Az. I asked the service manager about the need to drain tanks via the lanyards.

As others have posted, he said that here in the dry climate it's not necessary if the coach is well maintained. He said you can do it, but there really should be no moisture there.

However, he said if staying in moist climates like the PNW, it should be done monthly.

FWIW, I also asked him what I should be doing to ensure my slack adjusters were working properly and he said no action was required. They work automatically and are checked for proper operation during the annual FL service.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I stumbled across this on page 31 in the Freightliner manual http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

Freightliner chassis are equipped,
as standard equipment, with a heated automatic moisture ejector on the wet tank in addition to onebuilt into the air dryer. This eliminates the need to climb under the
coach to drain air and water from the tanks daily. You still must pull all
three drain lanyards for 10 to 15 seconds every 6 months to drain
moisture. A fine mist is normal due to condensation. If a large amount
of moisture is present it should be completely drained and the air
dryer serviced. Moisture in the braking system can cause brake
system failure and is not covered by the manufacturer warranty.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Use your awning rod to pull the lanyards. Keeps your arms and shirt sleeve cleaner and works like a charm.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ
Use your awning rod to pull the lanyards. Keeps your arms and shirt sleeve cleaner and works like a charm.
I'm in deep trouble...I have an electric awning:-)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found light wire lawn sign stands at Lowes for about two bucks. They have a ring at one end and straight at the other. I bent the straight end 90 degrees about an inch from the end to form a hook.

I use it for pulling out jack pads and the lanyards.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote