Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #1

Draining water from brakes, air lines, and fuel on XCS chassis

In my Freightliner manual, there are various references to draining water from the brakes, air compressor, and fuel. However, it doesn't tell me WHERE these drains are, what they look like, and specifically how to manipulate the valves. For example it says this in my manual:

Drain manually drained brake system air reservoirs.
Water and oil normally enter the air reservoir in
the form of vapor because of the heat generated
during compression. After the water and oil condense,
drain the resulting emulsion as follows:

1.1 Open the wet tank valve. The drain cock
or lanyard is located on the forward end of
the supply air reservoir, which is connected
directly to the air compressor.
Block the valve open.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say where the wet tank valve is, what a drain cock looks like, or how to block the valve open.

Fuel and brake draining is equally confusing to me after reading the manual. If someone could provide me some more specific guidance concerning my XCS chassis and these drain points, that would be much appreciated. This is my first diesel pusher, and I only have owned it for a couple of months.

Thanks!
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Lanyards on air tanks on my frieghtliner are between the frame behind the stairs. Not that easy to see but there are two tanks there with wire lanyards hanging from them. Pull these to clear and moisture in tanks. Use your awning rod to reach in by the wheel well. Not sure on where the water separator is. Probably on the motor somewhere if it has one.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are 3 lanyards (metal cables) hidden behind both front tires. Against the frame. 2 on one side 1 on other. Hard to see. Use your awning pull down rod to hook them and pull. Listen for hissing and look for water dripping. No water is good. Got water, time to change dryer filter.
No shut off for fuel.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Lanyards on air tanks on my frieghtliner are between the frame behind the stairs. Not that easy to see but there are two tanks there with wire lanyards hanging from them. Pull these to clear and moisture in tanks. Use your awning rod to reach in by the wheel well. Not sure on where the water separator is. Probably on the motor somewhere if it has one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
There are 3 lanyards (metal cables) hidden behind both front tires. Against the frame. 2 on one side 1 on other. Hard to see. Use your awning pull down rod to hook them and pull. Listen for hissing and look for water dripping. No water is good. Got water, time to change dryer filter.
No shut off for fuel.
I was wondering why there was an awning pull down rod when I have an electric awning. I guess that's why.

OK, so when you say no shut off for fuel, does that mean there is no way to drain water from the fuel system?

Is there anything for the brakes? Or is that covered with the 3 aforementioned lanyards?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your fuel filter also seperates water out. There is a drain on bottom of filter for water but no shut off to stop fuel flow to filter.
No shut off or drain for brakes directly. Thats in the lanyards

Just put in new primary fuel filter. Not a layman's job.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Your fuel filter also seperates water out. There is a drain on bottom of filter for water but no shut off to stop fuel flow to filter.
No shut off or drain for brakes directly. Thats in the lanyards

Just put in new primary fuel filter. Not a layman's job.
Thanks. Attached below should be an image of a cluster of filters on the bottom of my engine. I'm assuming(?!) the yellow one is the fuel filter. Could you describe to me where the drain is and how to manipulate it? I believe somewhere in the manual it said to only drain very small amounts of water/fuel when draining or the engine might not start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170718_202201.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	171464  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the bottom of the yellow filter is a thumb wheel that you can turn and let water drain from it. Fuel will also drain. The bottom of that filter is a somewhat clear plastic cap that screws onto the yellow metal filter. It has a probe in it that will give you a water in fuel light at your dash when water collects in that cap.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeurcher View Post
On the bottom of the yellow filter is a thumb wheel that you can turn and let water drain from it. Fuel will also drain. The bottom of that filter is a somewhat clear plastic cap that screws onto the yellow metal filter. It has a probe in it that will give you a water in fuel light at your dash when water collects in that cap.
Cool thanks. I'll have to look up that light in the XCS manual. I'll get under there tomorrow and look for that thumb wheel.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
On the Freightliner website you can download "Knowing Your Chassis' It has information on servicing the various systems, and diagrams of component locations, (including the wet tank and air drains). Download here: https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/up...ur_chassis.pdf

Your XCS chassis has automatic drain valves on the brake system, it is still recommended you manually drain some air out of the tanks to look for water.

For more information on your air brakes, this is a good manual. Again a free download: https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/AirBrakeManual.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
On the Freightliner website you can download "Knowing Your Chassis' It has information on servicing the various systems, and diagrams of component locations, (including the wet tank and air drains). Download here: https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/up...ur_chassis.pdf

Your XCS chassis has automatic drain valves on the brake system, it is still recommended you manually drain some air out of the tanks to look for water.

For more information on your air brakes, this is a good manual. Again a free download: https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/AirBrakeManual.pdf
Great links, thanks! I guess have a couple hundred pages of homework : )
Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Camp Freightliner

OP... You sound like me a few months ago when we bought our 06 Winnebago Tour.

I recently attended the two day Camp Freightliner training in Forest City, IA. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting to understand how to maintain their FL chassis. The knowledge of the instructor and fellow attendees filled many gaps of my personal experience. The Camp Freightliner binder provided and gone thru (400 pages) by the end of class is specific to your coach as you highlight what is pertinent and remove what is non applicable to your chassis.

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Chad
cpkleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkleve View Post
OP... You sound like me a few months ago when we bought our 06 Winnebago Tour.

I recently attended the two day Camp Freightliner training in Forest City, IA. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting to understand how to maintain their FL chassis. The knowledge of the instructor and fellow attendees filled many gaps of my personal experience. The Camp Freightliner binder provided and gone thru (400 pages) by the end of class is specific to your coach as you highlight what is pertinent and remove what is non applicable to your chassis.

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Chad
Yes, would love to attend. Unfortunately all of their upcoming classes are sold out : ( I understand there will be some new classes come October.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
...There are 3 lanyards (metal cables) hidden behind both front tires. Against the frame. 2 on one side 1 on other....
Yes, two on the driver's side one on the pax side.

The fuel/water separator on my chassis is all the way to the rear, open up the rear hood and look down.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Yes, two on the driver's side one on the pax side.

The fuel/water separator on my chassis is all the way to the rear, open up the rear hood and look down.
Do we have the same chassis?

Tags
air, brake, brakes, chassis, fuel, water