Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #1

We are picking up our '06 Bus tomorrow - it's been @ Cummins Atlantic for a couple weeks. It was towed due to "Stop Engine" light. That was not a big issue - recalibrating the ECM corrected the problem.

Anway while there we had the recall work on the Hydraulic Cooler done.. and the drive shaft was repaired. The Tow truck driver installed a new U-joint as the caps came off during the tow (which we are told is common) and i asked the Cummmins dealer to verify the work was done correctly. It was not. He told me what he replaced - but i cannot remember all the part names. The Tow company is picking up the tab on those repairs.

Anyway - my question is two fold.

What happens if you are driving and the drive shaft fails?

And does anyone have a list of parts related to the drive shaft. I want to understand this better..

Thanks

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #2

We are picking up our '06 Bus tomorrow - it's been @ Cummins Atlantic for a couple weeks. It was towed due to "Stop Engine" light. That was not a big issue - recalibrating the ECM corrected the problem.

Anway while there we had the recall work on the Hydraulic Cooler done.. and the drive shaft was repaired. The Tow truck driver installed a new U-joint as the caps came off during the tow (which we are told is common) and i asked the Cummmins dealer to verify the work was done correctly. It was not. He told me what he replaced - but i cannot remember all the part names. The Tow company is picking up the tab on those repairs.

Anyway - my question is two fold.

What happens if you are driving and the drive shaft fails?

And does anyone have a list of parts related to the drive shaft. I want to understand this better..

Thanks

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not expert but since you haven't gotten other replies, here are my answers to your questions. I'm assuming, because you posted this in the Freightliner forum, that yours is a Freightliner chassis:
1. Try registering for accessfreightliner. That will give you a specific breakdown of the parts on you chassis, including the driveshaft. On mine, the driveshaft itself is very short and there really aren't many parts to it.
2. It is unlikely that the driveshaft itself will fail. More likely (as happened to me in a car) one of the u-joints will fail. In my case, the u-joint came completely apart, allowing the driveshaft to drop onto the road. I was fortuate because mine came apart on a slight incline at a stop sign. If a u-joint fails during higher speed, it is possible to throw the driveshaft with a lot of force. On my MH, there is a safety bail around the center of the driveshaft to try to contain it if a u-joint should fail. Given the hundreds of pounds of torque involved and depending on which end the u-joint failed and under what conditions (like trying to hold back the MH on a downhill), the results could be ugly.

JMHO.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote