Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Dumping air bags

When I throw the lever to dump the air bags on my 07 Tropical 370 LX, nothing happens. This is a recent problem. The bags pump up to about 130 lbs ok.
Is there a valve or solenoid somewhere to check? Or any other ideas of why the bags wont dump?
Dick G
Golfergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Will the air dump when you apply the parking brake?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Miracle!. I took the coach out for a drive around the block and noticed the jack light was on, the jacks were down about an inch so I retracted them till the light went out. Dont know if that is a factor but when I parked, turned off the key and pushed the dump lever.. everything worked.
Could the jacks be connected to the air dump system?
Dick G
Golfergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

I'm wondering where my air dump is. 1999 American Dream 40'. Any ideas?
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
I'm wondering where my air dump is. 1999 American Dream 40'. Any ideas?
Are you asking about the suspension air dump? My system is electric controlled from the leveling key pad. F/L chassis with HWH levelers.
Or are you asking about the manual air tank drain valves? These valves; on the ends of the air tanks; have wire pull lanyards attached that may not have been extended by the coach manufacturer. They may still be wraped up by the valves. Tanks are above the front suspension, may be 3 valves, front/rear, Tanks should be manually drained every 6 months, to check operation of automatic system. Lots of water from valves, auto system needs service/repair.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfergo View Post
Miracle!. I took the coach out for a drive around the block and noticed the jack light was on, the jacks were down about an inch so I retracted them till the light went out. Dont know if that is a factor but when I parked, turned off the key and pushed the dump lever.. everything worked.
Could the jacks be connected to the air dump system?
Dick G
Jack warning would interconnect to a lot of other systems; could be a dump over-ride in there somewhere ! You would need a air system/wiring schematic to be sure.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Freightliner chassic;; When the coach sets And the engine is running, For about 5 minutes. (I go in and pay the park fee) I hear this little puff/air blast every so often, Is that draining some air off the tanks ?? This happens if the Air brake is on or off.. No differance.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
bachler, that puff of air your hearing is the air brake air dryer, removing any air with moisture in the system. That's normal, no need to worry.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
I am having a problem with the leveling jacks on my Bounder (Freightliner chassis) and have not been able to deploy them the past week or so. Now another problem has cropped its ugly head. The air bags deflate when parked after a few hours even if I don't throw the switch to deflate them. When I restart the engine, the bags re-inflate. Is this normal?? Usually, I have the leveling jacks deployed so there is no pressure on the air bags but now with no jacks down and all the weight on the air bags I'm wondering if they should stay inflated.
..........it's always somethin'..........

Bill
Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
No that is not normal to my knowledge. My bags will stay inflated for a week or so. We all have air leaks but I would say your is a little to quick. How fast does you air gauge go down?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfergo View Post
The bags pump up to about 130 lbs ok.
Dick G
From a later post you reported that your problem has been solved......glad to hear it. But, I'm curious.........how do you know your air suspension bags inflate to 130 lbs?
It seems like 130 would make for a harsh ride.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
I am having a problem with the leveling jacks on my Bounder (Freightliner chassis) and have not been able to deploy them the past week or so. Now another problem has cropped its ugly head. The air bags deflate when parked after a few hours even if I don't throw the switch to deflate them. When I restart the engine, the bags re-inflate. Is this normal?? Usually, I have the leveling jacks deployed so there is no pressure on the air bags but now with no jacks down and all the weight on the air bags I'm wondering if they should stay inflated.
..........it's always somethin'..........

Bill
After I posted this and I thought more about it.....the jacks don't hold the weight of the coach off the frame at all. So I guess I answered my own question......the bags are losing air somehow. Time for another trip to Freightliner and another $$$$$$$.
Like I said.........it's always somethin'...........
Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #13

Bill,
Earlier this year when going in for oil change service, the service writer noticed the air escaping when I shut down the engine for him to check me in. Discovered the dump valve was leaking and only by the compressor running continuously could we maintain our air suspension. From memory, the new valve was about $275 and related labor a couple of hundred.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Right or Wrong? When I park my MH in storage I dump the air. Good? Bad?
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote