Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Engine brake went out--easy fix...

I have the MH in my sig, FL chassis....On a trip and the engine brake went out ......Nothing, just coasted like it was off.....

Called FL cust service and the guy there said a common problem, esp on the newer chassis.......He walked me thru removing and re-inserting 5 fuses to do with ignition/dash....He said the problem is the dash stops talking to the transmission, which stops talking to the engine, etc etc.......A reset is needed, which merely shutting off the engine batt switch will not do.....

He also said the same fix is recommended over the phone if the cruise control goes out, again esp on the newer chassis......

Took 5 mins and all is fine.........
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
I have the MH in my sig, FL chassis....On a trip and the engine brake went out ......Nothing, just coasted like it was off.....

Called FL cust service and the guy there said a common problem, esp on the newer chassis.......He walked me thru removing and re-inserting 5 fuses to do with ignition/dash....He said the problem is the dash stops talking to the transmission, which stops talking to the engine, etc etc.......A reset is needed, which merely shutting off the engine batt switch will not do.....

He also said the same fix is recommended over the phone if the cruise control goes out, again esp on the newer chassis......

Took 5 mins and all is fine.........
Thank you for this info. I would have never thought it would be that simple. The folks at FL are great and will have the most correct answer in most cases. I recommend a trip to Gaffney, SC. The factory service center is great and I understand the the school they offer is a good thing to do. (We will not be available for it unless we can catch a suitcase version of it on the west coast.) Getting the chassis service done there was a great experience. We did this last year when in the area. We also had the weight done, the ride height adjusted and the alignment corrected. Very pleased with the results.

Many happy trails to you.

Rick Y
Old 10-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since new in October 2013, our 2014 Itasca Ellipse with a Freightliner Maxum Chassis experiences intermittent loss of Compression (Jake) Brake. Did some research and learned there are two sensors on the Freightliner Custom Chassis; a Throttle Pedal Position Sensor located on the throttle pedal assembly in the driver cab, and a Throttle Position Sensor on the Cummins diesel engine. In our case the intermittent issue was not caused by the ECM, so resetting fuses had no affect, rather when the compression brake fails to activate after fulling releasing the throttle, either a quick pump of the throttle, or a slight back pressure on the pedal (meaning slipping my foot behind the throttle pedal and pulling towards me) would fully release the throttle and engage the compression brake. Freightliner confirmed the TPPS is not a replaceable component in of itself, but requires a replacement of the entire Throttle Pedal Assembly, about a $500 part unless under warranty.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There has been a lengthy discussion of this same problem over on the tiffinrvnetwork...It appears to be a fairly common problem on the 2014 chassis...
Knock on wood.....ours does not seem to be one of them..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This post is very timely for me.
On our trip from Nashville to our home in upstate NY last weekend the dash gauges on my Tiffin 33A started going haywire. First my fuel gauge read empty less than 100 miles from the last fill up. I pulled over and checked to be sure there was not a leak. Finding no direct problem I determined that it was most likely a dash problem and continued on. I called freight liner when I arrived at the campground and spoke with one of their representatives. By that time I was getting a No J1939 data message on the dash, the DEF indicator was changing from full to empty, the exhaust brakes and cruise control stopped working. The freight liner rep walked me through a couple other checks and determined that it was safe to continue home, which I did. I have an appointment at my local freight liner service tomorrow to get it checked out by the pros. If they fine the simple fix described earlier I'll be delighted and relieved as I plan to head for Florida Friday to escape the snow predicted for Saturday.
If I get any useful information from my visit to freight liner I'll post again.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Regarding our intermittent Jake (Engine Compression) Brake, and the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor, turns out it was a simple fix. Freightliner in Lake City, Florida found loose attachment bolts for the throttle pedal assembly which was causing the pedal to not fully return to the idle position. Covered under warranty (very nice).

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKW View Post
Regarding our intermittent Jake (Engine Compression) Brake, and the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor, turns out it was a simple fix. Freightliner in Lake City, Florida found loose attachment bolts for the throttle pedal assembly which was causing the pedal to not fully return to the idle position. Covered under warranty (very nice).

I just love a happy ending, Chris. Congratulation on finding a good and honest service center.

Happy trails and many safe downgrades,

Rick Y
Old 09-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well for the last six months the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor has again been acting intermittent. Sometimes, though too slowly, the manufacturer sees a trend and takes the correct action to fix the problem, especially safety issues. So, some of you may have received a notice from Freightliner for a Safety Recall for the Throttle Position Sensor, of which on specific models built between 2012 and 2014, that does not go into full detent when the throttle is released and may therefore not engage the exhaust brake. Bot howdy, that has been our issue for over two years. We have had numerous service checks, and subsequent labor costs, chasing that very issue. We are schedule at a Freightliner Service Center in Eugene, Oregon on Monday to have this addressed. Apparently an initial inspection is required from which they determine which part is required and then they order the part out of Atlanta. They are no longer allowed to stock that part locally. So, a second appointment is required for installation and test drive. Happy and safe travels to all.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor recall done last Tuesday. It took them almost 3 hours to do. First one they have done. The attachment bolts are very hard to access. The shop I used ordered the part prior to my appointment. I never had the problem but my part was in the serial number range that they need to replace. They also did a software reprogram recall at the same time. I have had to do the fuse pull twice. I hope maybe the software reprogram might fix the issue.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake