Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Well Folks, the RV is out of the shop. Currently everything is working fine. I was told that in addition to the short in the wiper switch, they also found a loose ground wire that after a period of time it would lose contact and after the engine was normally shut down, the wipers, backup camera, heater, ac and the levers would not function once the engine was started. It does appear that Freightliner has some problems with their wiring. Will be putting RV on the road in a few weeks and hope that everything continues to operate. Electrical wiring is a nightmare. Thanks for all the input as the info was passed along to the technician who found the loose ground. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #16

May have answer to your problem

Ermann, I have an 2002 Coachmen. I was having similiar problems since I bought it last fall. With some of the information you were provided by both Open Roaders & GordRV I have corrected the problems completely by self repair. The coach is running better than ever! I believe your problem will be the Master solenoid that was used by Coachmen in 2002 Freightliner coaches. They stopped in 03 because of the problems. I purchased the new solenoids last week from KIB Electronics 574-262-0518 part # LR9806F at $35.50 each. One is for the chassis power and the other is for the house power. Problem solved. I spoke with a Coachmen rep who said they quit using these because they were failing due to a power spike generated at start up by the frightliner. They said replacing it was fine but recommended a long term solution or bypassing this solenoid and replacing it witha manuel 250 amp rotorary shut off switch like is use on boats or in race cars. Research shows this is about a $70 item. I also replaced the 135 amp Bussmann relay on the left rear frame rail behind the driverside rear wheels near the exhaust. This is Freightliner part #181135P010 at $23.14. This normally corrects the sudden power loss when the headlights come on that people speak of. You will find that the starter solenoid is mounted on the bracket next to this part #120-105112-2 at $13.67. This is not a required replacement item but at this small price may be money well spent since you are already laying and working right next to it. I hope this information is as valuable to you as some of the info received was to me. I should mention since these repairs I left Delaware and currently am in NC leaving for Tenn with family when done typing. If you or anyone else readying this has questions about the repair send me a message or feel free to call me at 302-853-5087. Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #17

While in south Texas, I cleaned ground connections and replaced the 135 amp circuit breaker that supplied power to the dash. We travelled from the Brownsville area into northern Arkansas then northwest as far as Cheyenne, Wyoming and so far no problems. We still have another 1000 miles or so to go to our summer location when the snow clears but I would say at this point that the problem is resolved. The circuit breaker was a part number 181135P010 and was just over $20 at Freightliner in Pharr. Thanks for all of the input.