RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Excessive air pressure build up/brakes/air ride

Hello ,

need a little help. 2003 phaeton 330 cat, on our way back from Cali ( live in michigan) i noticed that both air psi gauges would go to about 145/150 psi. on accel only i would hear a hissing noise coming from up front between the seats. ( it is throttle related) looking under the coach this is where the 2 air tanks sit along with the valves. so something is releasing the excessive air build up at 150 psi.
so the question is what controls the air psi and thoughts on failed part?

i never had any issues with air ride and or brakes but i know it to much. looking under the coach i cant see any witness marks from any air escaping

Hotrod

Hotrod2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Probably the governor that regulates the air compressor is stuck on. Excess pressure will pop open the safety overpressure relief valve.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

The governor controls the air pressure.

It gets its air signal from an air tank thru a thin, 1/4 line. If that line is leaking, the governor will not work. It could be hard to hear because the small tank it connects to will drain quickly and has no gauge.

You need to get the pressure up, shut down the engine, and quickly listen for any leak before the tank drains.

If the line is good, then you should change the governor. They are adjustable but when they go way off, its broken inside or jambed up. Replace it for $30.

Here is a picture of it. The second picture is it mounted to a Cat engine, air compressor.

Name:   275491.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  9.4 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	governor.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	225805
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's! Twinboat thanks for the pic. i will check it out

Hotrod
Hotrod2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
It might be tight quarters to replace it. Also be sure to check on the exact part number. I found mine to be a little more than 30 and was 50. Also had a hard time removing the one of the two bolts that attach it to the compressor. Was corroded inside the governor. Be sure to mark the two small lines which connect to it also. you don't want to mix them up. I had to remove a trans cooler line to the radiator to get access. The bolts use an allen head tool. also toque to the spec when installing and I used never seize to help in the future.
Be sure to clean the surfaces and install new gaskets.

You may have to transfer some of the plugs on the governor. pay particular attention to which holes are used and which are plugged when installing the new device.

Tags
air, brake, brakes