Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The purpose of brake lights it to indicate that a vehicle is slowing down. When the exhaust brake is used the vehicle is normally slowing down. Why not let the people behind you know you are slowing down.
I agree with the first sentence. Not the second.
Often my exhaust is helping me maintain speed and not slowing me down. BUT on another thought, What alerts the driver behind me that I am slowing down when operating my car or motorcycle. when I down shift and SLOW down. nothing at all. So on that theory - why should my exhaust brake ,which is slowing the MH down just like the car or motorcycle be any different to the idiot behind me that i am slowing down and he is too close. My contention is that a blinking or solid yellow light connected to the EB would be a standard for large vehicle. It is on transit buses.

If I am slowing down at a fast rate where the following driver needs adequate warning, it will be with the service brake.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cinderdog - Palehorse and others like u - I agree 100%. If I see a big rig with brake lights **my brain still has enough sponge to realize that sucker is slowing down.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
That may not necessarily be true. If I am going down a hill of a specific grade and I have my 10000 lbs trailer behind me ,chances are that I will be maintain or throttling to maintain the speed limit. My exhaust brake will be assisting me to maintain that condition of over speed. With my set up as soon as I begin to depress the throttle pedal my exhaust brake will release. If I put my foot on the Service brake - "I will be slowing down and possibly stopping."
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. If you are going down hill with a 10k trailer you certainly will not need any power to "maintain the speed limit." Unless it could be one of your Florida "hills." Plus, if you did need power, your brake lights would not come on any way. So, as noted before, the brake lights would only come on if slowing.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is one thing for sure about this thread. Many diverse opinions.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. If you are going down hill with a 10k trailer you certainly will not need any power to "maintain the speed limit." Unless it could be one of your Florida "hills." Plus, if you did need power, your brake lights would not come on any way. So, as noted before, the brake lights would only come on if slowing.
My guess is that you have and Engine brake so your performance will be different. My exhaust brake will help maintain my speed at 65-70 without slowing me down on certain grades. Sorry that this makes little sense to you but that is just what it is. I don't expect some else to understand my rig if they haven't operated it.

If I wish my exhaust brake to operate I stab my brake pedal and it activates. when it touch my accelerator pedal it releases the exhaust brake. In any case I am not stopping or slowing down to any extent that my brake lights need to be on confusing those behind me.

What of a MH that is a gasser and has no exhaust or engine brake except foot brake and gear selection. What turns on his lights when he selects a lower gear to maintain speed or slow down.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
Just a quick question: Last weekend I took our 35B for a little run to Lake Tahoe, both coming and going, when the sun was setting, the light was coming in the side windows and there was no "sun visor" to block it. My last coach was a class C so the factory sun visors would swing to the side and block most of the bright sun coming in. Has anyone found an after market sun visor that can be mounted over the driver and passenger side windows? My search on Amazon and Camping World was not productive. Fleetwood did take care of the front window with a power shade that worked great for both seating positions. Any ideas? JH
Carefree makes both power and manual visors for driver and passenger side.

Power SmartVisor - Carefree of Colorado
Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #49

That is what I was looking for Thanks. JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by National 350 View Post
Carefree makes both power and manual visors for driver and passenger side.

Power SmartVisor - Carefree of Colorado
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My 2015 Jeep Wrangler is equipped with the SMI Stay & Play Brake System. How do I disable the Exhaust Brake-Brake Light on my 2015 XCS Series Freightliner. On long grades, when using the Exhaust Brake, I am overheating the Brakes on the Jeep. The trucks that I am following do not have the Brake Light activation with their Exhaust Brakes, my 2013 RAM PU with the same 6.7 Cummins and Exhaust Brake does not activate the Brake Lights... Please Help Me. JH
You should be able to adjust the sensitivity of when the bakes come on on your toad. The place that installed mine put a small LED light that can be seen in my rear view camera when the brakes on the toad are activated. That helps tremendously when adjusting the sensitivity.

You should be able to turn your exhaust brakes off with a switch somewhere on your dash.

I hope that helps
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My 2015 Jeep Wrangler is equipped with the SMI Stay & Play Brake System. How do I disable the Exhaust Brake-Brake Light on my 2015 XCS Series Freightliner. On long grades, when using the Exhaust Brake, I am overheating the Brakes on the Jeep. The trucks that I am following do not have the Brake Light activation with their Exhaust Brakes, my 2013 RAM PU with the same 6.7 Cummins and Exhaust Brake does not activate the Brake Lights... Please Help Me. JH
Look in "All" of your fuse box's, most likely it will be in the one with the fuse for your stop lights.
Look for a fuse with a "Diode"symbol on it, take a picture of it or remember the position it is in, pull it and see if that does it for you.
Mine looked like this :

I called Spartan and the tech told me what to do and where it was located. Removing it ended my problems like you are having.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I agree with the first sentence. Not the second.
Often my exhaust is helping me maintain speed and not slowing me down. BUT on another thought, What alerts the driver behind me that I am slowing down when operating my car or motorcycle. when I down shift and SLOW down. nothing at all. So on that theory - why should my exhaust brake ,which is slowing the MH down just like the car or motorcycle be any different to the idiot behind me that i am slowing down and he is too close. My contention is that a blinking or solid yellow light connected to the EB would be a standard for large vehicle. It is on transit buses.
If I am slowing down at a fast rate where the following driver needs adequate warning, it will be with the service brake.
ladagobago
My coach has 4 brake lights (2 left and 2 right).
I modified the brake light wiring so that 2. (one left/one right). illuminate when I apply the service brakes and the other 2 illuminate with Pacbrake operation.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
ladagobago
My coach has 4 brake lights (2 left and 2 right).
I modified the brake light wiring so that 2. (one left/one right). illuminate when I apply the service brakes and the other 2 illuminate with Pacbrake operation.

Mel
'96 Safari
That may be helpful when the person following knows what it means but "John Q" public just sees red lights.

That assuming that John Q is paying attention at all.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Mel,

I plan to wire my coach such that the amber four ways will flash when the PacBrake has been activated cautioning any approaching driver's then have the standard red brake lights come on when the service brakes have been applied.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mel,

I plan to wire my coach such that the amber four ways will flash when the PacBrake has been activated cautioning any approaching driver's then have the standard red brake lights come on when the service brakes have been applied.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Do you have the 4 light setup on the rear of your trailer Richard?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I believe some folks are over thinking this issue. When the eng/exhaust brake is on, it has the same affect as stepping on the service brakes. A brake is a brake is a brake...the red tail lights should come on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light