Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
The material is a high heat resistant exhaust wrap that is necessary on any coach with an EPA-07 or EPA-10 engine due to the high temperatures created through the regeneration process.

Just make sure you also replace the exhaust wrap when you replace the pipe.

I had almost the opposite problem you did as my exhaust wrap rotted away, but my pipe wasn't rusted. Your situation is very unsual to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Wrap 002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	143178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Wrap 006.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	143179  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #16

You might want to give Summit Racing a call. They sell stainless pipes and from the photo that looked to be about a 4" pipe. Then instead of the sock you could fabricate a heat shield. Probably way cheaper than new original equipment pipe that will just rot away again in a couple of years. I did the turbo back on my truck and I'm pleased.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I believe that the sock is like a hot pad to absorb the heat so that it's not transferred to the rest of the area.The previous owner of my rig changed the muffler and evidently the shop replaced the exhaust tail pipe with flex tube. A couple of years ago, we were traveling through southern Oregon on the 5 and about 1/2 way between Roseburg and Grants Pass,the DW smelled smoke. I pulled off into the first off ramp and grabbed a fire extinguisher, checked the bedroom, then outside and found smoke pouring out of the camera port. Finally determined that the flex pipe had burned thru at the 90 degree elbow between the muffler and the outlet and the heat had lit the foam insulation next to it on fire. The fire extinguishers helped, but I needed water to put it out and the MH was on an angle and the pump wouldn't pump any water from the tank. Windex,Rainex,409 and awesome cleaners all work in place of water and the fire got put out.
After checking the damage, the shop I took it too told me that there had been a fire back there previously and that's probably why they changed the tailpipe and that my end cap was a replacement.
I am a former school bus driver and am still anal about my walk around inspections on the MH and never saw this till it went thru.
I carry five extinguishers just for cases like that.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used three extinguishers on it before I realized it wasn't gonna work. The foam was melted and when you'd hit it with the extinguisher,it would die down to a dull orange then after a bit flare up again. Liquid is the only thing that seemed to work. Also it was in the lower right hand corner of the rear cap and I couldn't get a good shot at it with the ext and so removed the RR tailite and doused it from there.I now have a powder ext next to my seat, inside the right front compartment and the right rear compartment as well as a new addition of a CO2 one in the center right compartment where I keep all my tools. Those are a bit more spendy and need to be checked and recharged more often, so unless the fire is really bad,it's second choice. Knock on wood,none of them will ever be needed.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #19

rusted tail pipe Freightliner

I recently found the same issue with my 2008 Winnebago Tour/Freightliner. Replaced it with 4 inch Stainless Steel (SS#304). The particulate filter and goofy end piece look just fine, it was just the tail pipe piece that was rusted through under the heat sock right in the elbow. Easy fix with a much better material. It will be easy to place a heat shield around or on top of the pipe. It most likely should have been stainless or at least aluminized coated from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exhaust pipe rust through1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	146249   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Exhaust pipe.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	146250  

Old 12-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Source for stainless pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-mike View Post
I recently found the same issue with my 2008 Winnebago Tour/Freightliner. Replaced it with 4 inch Stainless Steel (SS#304). The particulate filter and goofy end piece look just fine, it was just the tail pipe piece that was rusted through under the heat sock right in the elbow. Easy fix with a much better material. It will be easy to place a heat shield around or on top of the pipe. It most likely should have been stainless or at least aluminized coated from the factory.
Mike,
Where did you get the stainless pipe?
Thanks,
Randy
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #21

Exhaust pipe part number

Hey Randy,
The pipe I used was from Flopro part #85690. This is a stainless steel 4 inch OD elbow that is too long on both ends so you can cut it to fit just right.
20 X 12 X 4. The elbow was around $130. I would think you could find one at most any custom pipe shop for trucks - online or not online. Most muffler shops do not have a mandrel to bend 4 inch pipe so you have to buy the elbow. I reattached the factory tip for safety during the regeneration process. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

FLO~PRO Performance Exhaust - Official Site Go to pipes and tubing and then mandrel bends. You will see a list of all types.

Mike
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

mine rusted through also. New one was about 60 bucks. Took local truck parts dealer about 3 days to get it. It went back on with no cloth covering it. I also sanded it and painted it with high heat paint.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #23

Our 2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster on Freightliner also rusted through. Got a new exhaust pipe installed without sock. The dealer said sock was not necessary.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #24

my 2010 tour was same way, took old one to napa and bought a pipe from them 40 some bucks, replaced it no isuues,
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #25

My 2007-8 Winnebago Tour was rusted out and broke off. Was hanging by the rubber strap. Had to cut rubber strap in two at a rest area with a fiskar axe.

https://goo.gl/photos/f6CtB6DRQi6XYkZU7
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's my solution

I ended up using the Freightliner part - $80 direct from the Gaffney parts department. I wrapped it in fiberglass tape (from Amazon) and painted (soaked) the whole thing with a ceramic, high temperature paint. I also took the opportunity to replace the exhaust tip.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	155528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2913.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	643.0 KB
ID:	155529  

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	155530  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #27

Looks good! Where did you get the Exhaust Tip? Do you have a part# /provider and cost on the tip? It looks stainless, is it?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-mike View Post
Looks good! Where did you get the Exhaust Tip? Do you have a part# /provider and cost on the tip? It looks stainless, is it?
I got the exhaust tip from the Freightliner van at the Tampa RV show this year. Sorry, since I didn't order it, I don't have the part number. If your replace the exhaust tip, you should also replace the clamp. That makes the job much easier. The exhaust tip is chromed steel.

Tags
rust