Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
What has anyone heard about the new front engine diesel chassis? Does anyone have one?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
What has anyone heard about the new front engine diesel chassis? Does anyone have one?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #3

I have a older one. As my sig states. It is a 1998 Newmar Montain Aire. I dont know what the suspensions is on the new ones, but mine has leaf springs front and rear. I think the ride is a little rough, but I am about to fix that with some new suspension parts.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Motorhomes (Allegro & Phaeton brands) is offering a model on a FRED chassis. Don't know of anyone who ownes one (yet).

Given that one of the most noticeable drawbacks to a gas chassis is noise in the cab area,I am somewhat skeptical that a FRED will catch on. Will be watching how this goes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Sure seems like it'd be awful loud,unless they've now figured out a way to drive them from the rear...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:17 AM   #6

Yes I forgot to mention the noise level in the front. It is not too bad until the engine cooling fan kicks in. Then its hard to hear the radio.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There are a number of owners of them. My local dealer, Kings Campers, sold 5 in the first 2 monthsa that they came out and presently has 3 on the lot.

There are a ton of improvements over earlier attempts at diesel pushers. The Freighliner MC series chassis (FRED) is designed to drop the engine down low in thr frame. This gives you a flat floor with no doghouse to trip over. It also keeps the noise level down because it blows by underneath the chassis rather than sitting next to your head. Reports are that the noise is slightly higher when sitting at idle but it's quieter than a gasser at speed, escpecially when compared to the Workhorse fans that kick in every now and then. The latest Cummins ISB is really a much quieter engine than in the past and with 600 ft-lbs of torque it really handles grades with ease and has lots of towing capacity.

Mileage is better and it handles much better than the W series Workhorse chassis while still offering a great ride. I've looked underneath the thing and the chassis is tougher and better built than a gas chassis. Mileage reports are typically in the 11 MPG range.

FRED is NOT a diesel pusher, nor does it pretend to be. A diesel pusher has a whole lot more to offer but it comes at a premium price hike over a gasser chassis. FRED can be thought of as a gasoline chassis with extra power, weight capacity, fuel economy, etc that just happens to have a diesel engine under the hood. Except, this chassis was designed from the ground up to be a diesel chassis, not a retrofit. It comes at a slight price increase over a gasser but nowhere near a diesel puisher price. My personal feeling is that a FRED based motorhome offers the most bang for the buck when you factor in fuel economy, long term maintenance costs, and just plain satisfaction with it's abilities.

But don't worry, I'll still keep my Allegro Bus.

Had dollars been an issue when I upgraded from my Suncruiser, and had FRED been available at that time, it would have been a very convincing arguement to me.

Check on the FRED link in the RV Tech Library for more info.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
sounds about right to me Cruzer. I have heard that the Safari Trek is being introduced at the National Trek rally in MO this week. After 2 yrs with a Workhorse P32 chassis Trek I'm ready to dump it I'm not anxious to buy another Monaco product, but we love the Trek design. I can imagine how a 30' coach weighing 16,500 will run on the FRED chassis. If i should buy another Trek be sure I will fly out to Oregon to pick her up !!!

Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #9

Originally posted by eandy:
Steve, no for me. Reason for me is I want a flat floor like diesel guys and noise in back.

Glad to see rear gas mentioned Hope both you and Mike will pick up on that. "FIND" for RGP etc for threads. They're all over the forums in past few days. Even DriVer seems to be getting interested. We're especially wanting Mike's take on that and split rear ends.

Wouldn't it be great if someone could give us a rear gas/diesel rig that was flat floor from front to rear? I know I'm dreaming, but wouldn't that be cool?

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #10

I have one. 2006 Allegro Bay 34XB. Picked it up in March. I've always had gassers - since 1983. My first diesel. Noise in the cockpit is = or < my 03 Workhorse W22 which I had for 3+ yrs and 38.5K miles. I still favor the mid entry. I'm tired of banging my head on my friends TV. If I could afford a pusher, I'd wait 'till they'd reintroduce the mid entry.
I've filled it up 4 times since purchasing. Broke 10.5 once. currently a little over 9. Hopefully it will get better. I tow an Ion at 3k lbs and try not to exceed 60mph. It does have a stiffer ride than the W22. After all, it is a truck. Might be better with Michelins. I just had it weighed, which resulted in dropping the pressure to 85 rear and 90 front. That may help. I'm more than 1700 lbs underweight. And we are full time.
Ron, K4WWW and Liz
Tom & Geri our two DSH
F57004
Ronliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2 Ronliz.
And, thanks for sharing that information. That pretty much mirrors what I've heard on the Tiffin forum from other FRED owners. Personally, I think the FRED Bay is a great market slot. It gives a gasser driver the advantages of a diesel engine while staying very close to the gasser price point. Sure, a diesel pusher rides better, has even more CCC, and is quieter - but it comes at a much higher cost. I don't see FRED as ever replacing a diesel pusher but I can see the larger class A gasser owners going that route.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
I finally got to drive this chassis at Hershey RV Show on Sept,16. My over all opinion is it would make a wonderful school bus chassis. As a motorhome chassis I think it is a bit under powered, and vibration in the cab area was annoying. As a price leader diesel chassis, I think it may have a place in the industry, but for the money I think there are much better alternatives. IMHO.