Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fan Clutch, replace from top side?

I had overheat issues while coming home yesterday. See my other post overheat > 55 MPH...

Checked CAC from below between fan blades, looked clean, no clogged tubes.

Call Freightliner customer service gave him the description of the problem and asked about fan clutch. There is a 5A Fuse labeled fan CL just below the fan clutch relay in the fuse block in the rear compartment. I pulled the fuse while it was running and the clutch did not engage, fan did not change speed.

Has anyone replaced clutch from hatch under bed?
I can see the 4 spline bolts that mount the fan clutch assembly to the water pump. My question is has anyone cut the shrode and gotten the fan/clutch assembly up through the top?

Or do I need to pull radiator, CAC to get full access from the back?

Thanks,
Ed
2012 Winnebago 36M
Freightliner XCL chassis, ISB engine
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced mine in the parking lot at a truck stop. Did not remove the radiator, however could not access from under bed, you should have another panel (I did) in your closet, that is where I had best access, that was directly over top of fan.

For what its worth, Spartan had me remove the fan clutch all together and mount fan directly to flywheel, they had to send me a spacer to make up the distance that fan clutch used to take up. The spacer was actually from Cummins when it arrived.

Highly recommend removing the fan clutch, my rig runs a lot cooler with out the clutch. Used to drive me nuts watching temp climb, then fan kick on, watch temp drop, then fan shut off, then temp climb again, then fan kick on, rinse repeat. Now temp stays constant and a very stable temp.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

mechanical fan rear radiator correct, there is no fuse for a mechanical fan
Old 06-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
I had overheat issues while coming home yesterday. See my other post overheat > 55 MPH...

Checked CAC from below between fan blades, looked clean, no clogged tubes.

Call Freightliner customer service gave him the description of the problem and asked about fan clutch. There is a 5A Fuse labeled fan CL just below the fan clutch relay in the fuse block in the rear compartment. I pulled the fuse while it was running and the clutch did not engage, fan did not change speed.

Has anyone replaced clutch from hatch under bed?
I can see the 4 spline bolts that mount the fan clutch assembly to the water pump. My question is has anyone cut the shrode and gotten the fan/clutch assembly up through the top?

Or do I need to pull radiator, CAC to get full access from the back?

Thanks,
Ed
2012 Winnebago 36M
Freightliner XCL chassis, ISB engine
I replaced the clutch in about an hour and a half...but with the shroud cut. Made an opening of about 5"x7" initially to help me clean the CAC and radiator, but it worked great for access to the clutch.

I covered the hole with a piece of sheet metal duct work lined with heavy rubber weatherstripping and screwed back to the shroud.

Best of luck on your repair.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
mechanical fan rear radiator correct, there is no fuse for a mechanical fan
Um yeah...there is a fuse for the electric fan clutch.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool

Oh and just a side note:
Take old sheets or something and line the bottom of the engine area to stop your dropped wrenches/sockets/etc falling into the fan shroud area.

I didn't at first, and had to take a heavy magnet on a string to retrieve that wrench and socket.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
When the fan clutch loses power it's supposed to go into default high speed mode all the time. It's when power is applied to the clutch that it goes to idle or low speed mode. If yours is not locking into high speed mode without power, then it's probably lost all of the viscous fluid and a replacement is your next move. Mine has been replaced twice and both times it was not necessary to remove the radiator.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
M10 spline wrench?

Any idea where to get an M10 spline wrench crows foot to break loose the clutch bolts from the pulley? Mine just brent. There is not enough distance between the 2" clutch nut and the bolt heads to get a regular spline socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_151331.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	250098  
Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Any idea where to get an M10 spline wrench crows foot to break loose the clutch bolts from the pulley? Mine just brent. There is not enough distance between the 2" clutch nut and the bolt heads to get a regular spline socket.
Hmmm...sorry. Yours must be different. I didn't use special tools. 12pt box wrench I guess.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2011 Meridian with a 2009 Cummins ISB 6.7 has started over heating recently. I've cleaned the radiator a couple of times and never saw a lot dirt come out of it so I decided to take a look at the fan clutch. I found the bracket (seen on the right side of the great pic Ed provided) that routes the control wires to the clutch was broken and the clutch side plug was dangling in the wind. Apparently at some time the wires must have gotten caught up in one of the spinning pulleys and ripped out on the engine side. I found the remainder of the wire loom and have spliced wires in and ready to connect to the clutch side plug, but I have a question about the connection - is it like a solenoid on the clutch where polarity does not matter or is it a polarity sensitive device?

Thanks,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Albert, the connector is a 5 pin harness on my 2012.
I'm assuming +12v, GND, sense, PWM input (pulse width modulation variable speed).

There is a repair kit available from Horton. This is the link to my 2012 version. Horton Vehicle Products | Horton

Call freightliner customer service or email with the last 6 digits of your VIN and ask for fan clutch repair kit or Anti-rotation bracket. Worst case, ask for the fan clutch part number, then on the Horton web page you can fine the antirotation bracket repair.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

you see the wire that runs over to the clutch? mine was resting on the pulley and cut off the insulation, leaving wires exposed. by happenstance i found it before it cut through
i did most from above, i used a heavy thick blanket and some big swim foams to place in areas so i didnt break of bend something and then laid half my svelte frame across the valve cover, legs dangling on tranny and some sharp items. it was a pita. but easier than from below...and of course the tools i needed i dropped a few times
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Without the fan clutch your wasting fuel, up to 50 hp to drive the fan, and takes longer to warm up the engine. Fix it right.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacement procedure, fan clutch

See attached PDF for photos, tools etc. Hopefully this helps others.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing Freightliner fan clutch.pdf (729.4 KB, 366 views)

Tags
ace, fan, replace