Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fast Idle on Freightliner XC....

Been trying to get my "fast Idle" to work for 3 years with no luck. I've read many IRV2 postings, nothing worked for me. My normal, over the road Cruise Control, works great! One call to FL Helpline and one call to CAT Engine Support, got misleading info from both sources over the years. Now, I finally know why. Today, I got accurate info from a Helpful FL guy. Simple, my chassis didn't leave the FL factory with that feature! Yes, he checked the Archived records and discovered that it NEVER had the "fast Idle" feature. DUH.....no wonder it never has worked! I'm relieved.....but a bit disappointed. He said that a CAT Tech could probably hook up his Computer to the ECM and "enable" it to work, but it would cost me $200, or more. No thanks. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Doesn't that just frost your whiskers!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

I have the fast idle switch on the turn signal. You slide the switch and you have fast idle. It actually is the same switch for cruise control to turn it on, except the cruise control once you know what speed you want, you press the end button to set it.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

This might be worth a try. At idle turn your cruise control on and tap the resume button as many times you need to get to the idle speed you want. It has always worked for me.

Sal

PS I do have a Smart Wheel
Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sal....thanks for your comments. But....if my ECM is not programmed for fast idle, then NOTHING on the Cruise Control will make it work! But, I'm persistent and sometimes CREATIVE, I have a 5ft long piece of PEX 1/2 plastic pipe that I will manually use to press the throttle control up to 1000 RPMs and friction lock it in between the arm rest and the chair back. Walla! FAST IDLE! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Taught to me at Camp Freightliner, in park, bring the tach up to the desired RPMs, set with the cruise control on, and engine should stay at that setting.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleggio View Post
This might be worth a try. At idle turn your cruise control on and tap the resume button as many times you need to get to the idle speed you want. It has always worked for me.

Sal

PS I do have a Smart Wheel
On mine you have to turn on cruise and hold the resume lever over quite a while then let go when you reach desired RPM.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #8

On my FL/Cat bring engine speed up to desired level and activate speed control switch. Will hold that rom until 1: Switch deactivated 2: Service brake depressed 3: Engine turned off or 4: Run out of fuel😳
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
On mine you have to turn on cruise and hold the resume lever over quite a while then let go when you reach desired RPM.
Same on my 2000 Itasca Horizon, with 300 Cat. Hold the cruise switch in "Resume" until you reach the desired RPM. Any action that normally deactivates cruise control (switch off, tap brake) will return the RPM to idle.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner