Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #1

Can somebody tell me what I'm up against here. I haven't see this addressed in my manuals ...but I'm overwhelmed at all the separate manuals I received so I may have missed it as I've only had the coach for a bit over a year now.

I know that to turn the fast idle on and off that the cruise control switch is used. However, I now notice that when I turn the engine on, after about a minute it goes into fast idle by itself. The crusise control switch hasn't been touched and is in the off position. Clicking the switch back and forth doesn't push the idle speed down. The only way it will cut itself off is by stabbing the brake pedal. BUT then it comes right back to fast idle after a few seconds.

This has just started happening. It's never happened before this.

Where do I start troubleshooting this?

Thanks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Can somebody tell me what I'm up against here. I haven't see this addressed in my manuals ...but I'm overwhelmed at all the separate manuals I received so I may have missed it as I've only had the coach for a bit over a year now.

I know that to turn the fast idle on and off that the cruise control switch is used. However, I now notice that when I turn the engine on, after about a minute it goes into fast idle by itself. The crusise control switch hasn't been touched and is in the off position. Clicking the switch back and forth doesn't push the idle speed down. The only way it will cut itself off is by stabbing the brake pedal. BUT then it comes right back to fast idle after a few seconds.

This has just started happening. It's never happened before this.

Where do I start troubleshooting this?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

I had to laugh when I read your post as mine does something similar but with a slight variation. Mine will not idle high until after it has been running for about 5 minutes then goes into high idle without the cruise control. Once it runs for five minutes then the cruise control can be used to activate the high idle. Once I step on the break it goes off and stays off for about another 5 minutes then turn itself back on until I repeat the brake pedal stomp. It will continue to do this for several times at least. I wish I could tell you where to start troubleshooting but I am in the same boat so look forward to reading the answer.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure either of you have a problem. My coach will randomly fast idle as well. However, there is a sensor built into the ECM that monitors engine temp and fuel delivery. If the engine is not warming up fast enough and burning all of the fuel that the injectors are putting into the cylinders, the excess fuel will actually start to "wash" the cylinder walls. By increasing the idle, you are getting a more complete burn of the fuel and not leaving excess fuel in the cylinder.

I would only worry about the high idle if the engine was already warm. Diesels warm up VERY slowly. That is why they can run so cool on a hot day. Playing with the cruise control won't over ride the ECM. It is designed to do that to prevent an unsafe fueling condition. As long as it drops when the brake is touched, all is most likely working according to spec.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #5

Thanks, Sarge!

Perhaps I can cross that off my list of things to worry about! I had no idea that the ECU was monitoring that. I drove transit buses for years and we had to manually engage the fast idle during warm up.

Which leads me to a related question. It seems to me that the high idle on my motorhome is exceptionally fast. On buses, when we threw the fast idle switch on, it would only kick up the idle a few RPM. In the motorhome, the fast idle almost seems to make the engine race. Is this normal? What RPM is the fast idle supposed to be running at?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I noted that too Rocco. But since it is built into the software program that Cummins designed, I figured that they must be OK with it.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #7

My fast idle is right at 1100rpm on mine if that helps.
Thanks SargeW for the info. Very helpful.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
1100rpm on mine, too.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

One of the triggers for an automatic fast idle is low battery voltage; the engine will accelerate to increase the charging rate.

With my C7 I can invoke a faster idle using the cruise control just about any time after starting -- I don't have to wait 5 mins -- and I can set the idle speed wherever I want it.

I think, but don't know, that some of the Cummins engines have an automatic fast idle controller that cycles it up and down for cooling...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe you are right Steve. With the software programs that run our engines these days, manufactures have a whole range of options that they can build into their designs. Anymore it's almost like driving a CPU with wheels.........
Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #11

Mine too will go into a fast idle if the battery voltage is low -- I think below 12.6V.

On mine the display system on the dash will tell me it's in fast idle for low voltage.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #12

Thanks, fun time, Teach, and diesellabs for the feedback and good information.

Yeah, Sarge, it just seems a bit too high for me.

Don, what display system on the dash are you referring to? The Freightliner info center? ...or did you install an auxiliary Silver Leaf or TripTek- type system?

I'm just now figuring out different settings and displays on the Freightliner display but did not see that one. I'd sure be interested if you're seeing that readout on the stock Freightliner display. And this is the chassis battery voltage that you guys are talking about, correct?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #13

The Auto-Idle for low chassis voltage messge will appear on the Freightliner Info Display.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote