Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
PDB

Some of you expressed an interest in the solution to the problem I had a couple of weeks ago re: 'no brake lights'. I had hazards, turn sigs and taillights, but no brake bar, no brake lighrts, no engine brake light.
The problem was diagnosed by the F-liner help desk as being bad diodes. The problem was neither Fliner nor Winny could tell me where they were located. Well, we found them.
So, for those of you who wanted the info, the suspect diodes are located at the base of the steering column, in their own harness which is about 9" long, 1/2" wide with spade connector clips on each end.
The good folks at Sterling Truck in Tallahassee found them and they were cooked! Ordered replacement o-night from Fliner, snapped in the new 9" segment and Voila! Brake lights again! Fliner picked up the tab for both parts and labor.
So there it is, FWIW.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
PDB

Some of you expressed an interest in the solution to the problem I had a couple of weeks ago re: 'no brake lights'. I had hazards, turn sigs and taillights, but no brake bar, no brake lighrts, no engine brake light.
The problem was diagnosed by the F-liner help desk as being bad diodes. The problem was neither Fliner nor Winny could tell me where they were located. Well, we found them.
So, for those of you who wanted the info, the suspect diodes are located at the base of the steering column, in their own harness which is about 9" long, 1/2" wide with spade connector clips on each end.
The good folks at Sterling Truck in Tallahassee found them and they were cooked! Ordered replacement o-night from Fliner, snapped in the new 9" segment and Voila! Brake lights again! Fliner picked up the tab for both parts and labor.
So there it is, FWIW.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Paul,

Glad to hear you found the diodes. I've been curious to what you had found. I'm going to go look at my rig and locate the diodes. Good to know where they are in case they should fail.

Joe
Old 08-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #4

I have brake lights problems as well and found the service bulletin issued by freightliner and I looked at the previous post on this subject.I found that not all diodes are located at the base of the steering wheel column.
I obtained the Service Bulletin 54-3 from Freightliner and it oulines the procedure to get at these diodes and how to to change them.So far I have not have a chance to look for them in the harness described by freightliner but it seems easy enough to find. Having said that I now hope that it is the diodes causing my problem because I now know what to do about it, if it is not the cause, I am lost . There are far to many wires and harnesses to trace back from the brake lights to the source of my problem. I may as well proceed to string a new set of wires to activate the brake lights from a connection at the brake activation valve under the brake pedal and the brake light switch.
If anybody has the same problem with brake lights, I suggest to get the Freightliners Technical Service Bulletin No. 54-3 and proceed acordingly, and hope this will cure your problem
Gerry
Old 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #5

I too had the same problem with my 05 Freightliner chassis. All the Toad lights worked the rigs running, turnsignal, clearance lights worked but "Brake Lights" did'nt.

The first time I had this problem. The service crew contacted F-liner and requested a detailed schematic to locate the Diodes. Apparently it showed up a day after I picked up the rig. It was there several weeks for other repairs. The service folks did their best and thought the problem was corrected. According to the tech....the schematic was vauge as to the location of the diodes too.

While enroute to Texas for a 2 week adventure. I scheduled a appointment with our dealer for a quick unrealted warranty fix. Upon our arrival I advised the service desk that I still did'nt have brake lights so the minor warranty work would have to wait till I rescheduled when we get back.

2 techs were assigned to fix the problem so we could continue on our adventure. They crawled and scooted all under the rig and still could'nt find the diodes.

After searching for several hours. They made the decision to connect a doide to the toads pigtail and butt connect it into the rigs brake lights. It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quick fix. But, I know where the diode is now.

BTW....Had a great time on our trip.

Food for thought...Stay Safe

2001 Sat toad
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #6

On August 19 I posted about "No Brake Lights" Well, since I had the service bulletin I didn't think I would have a problem finding the diodes.(Actually only one) So I finally phoned Freight Liner for more info.I was told to follow the orange wire No 1005B until I come to the diode.He could not tell me much more then that.As a final remark it was mentioned the diodes are always inside the motor home and sometimes there is a white paper ring around the harness where the diode is located.With info I followed the harness right to the firewall where it merged with a bunch of other harnesses and all was covered in a foam to seal the firewall.As a last resort I checked outside under the hood where the fuse box is and noticed this white ring around a 1.5" harness. After snipping about 15 wire ties I managed to open the protective cover of the harness and there was the diode, all fried and in two pieces. The local electronics store identified it as a 6 Amp. 12 volt diode and sold me 2 for less then $ 4.00 Can. Problem solved.I carry extra now and used spade connectors to install them in the Harness.
Hope this helps someone with the same problem.
Gerry