Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

freightliner air problem

Yesterday I got my Rv out of storage garage. It started and ran ok till I got to my house & parked it. I noticed the air pressure going down to nothing. Now I have no air for brakes? I don't hear any leaks under front or rear.Acts like the air compressor is not working.Can't get anybody out to look at it. Was planing a trip over the Holidays.I have good skills and tools but don't know where to start trouble shooting.
jackofalltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you by any chance lower the jacks? If it's an HWH system when you push the button to activate that, it automatically dumps all the air and won't air up again until all the jacks are retracted.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
As Cooperhawk says, try to work your jacks a time or two with the engine running. If that doesn't work then the next thing I would do is double check my chassis fuses, and (I think I'm right on this) then make sure the belt hasn't slipped or broken that runs the compressor. It sure is possible the compressor has puked, but it's more likely a relay or switch or contact or something has gone bad or corroded. It's the pits these things how up just when you least need them to! Luck!!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

No belt on engine mounted air compressors. They are gear driven off the timing gears.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

this one is belt driven,freightliner 300isb cummings. compressor # 709ta11
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

do you know wher i might find the relays or fuses? in back compartment there is (2) fuse blocks but none say for the compresser or air?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltra View Post
this one is belt driven,freightliner 300isb cummings. compressor # 709ta11
That would be your air conditioner compressor.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltra View Post
do you know wher i might find the relays or fuses? in back compartment there is (2) fuse blocks but none say for the compresser or air?
Because of the critical importance of your air brakes, there will not be a fuse for it.

The first place to look is at the bottom of the air dryer. It has a port that opens to purge the moisture out of the system. If that port sticks open, the compressed air just escapes.

Many of the purge ports are threaded and can be plugged with a 1/2 pipe plug. If the system works with the plug, you need the air dryer serviced.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air bags should be on a separate tank, if you are losing all air, then as Twinboat says, look at the air drier purge.
You don’t mention if you ran the engine again and if the air pressure came up.
You should be able to hear the air escaping .
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to all those great responses that you have received I would check the VDC. On my coach the VDC is located in the engine compartment. Both the front and rear airlines go to the VDC and the VDC sends a electric signal to the dashboard gages. Since your coach is newer than mine they may have replaced the VDC with some other device. Your simple test would be to start to coach pull forward one foot if the coach moves you have air pressure. If there is no air pressure your wheels will lock the coach will not be able to move.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

THANKS,Your spot right on,I was looking at the A/c compressor. Found the problem to be the purge valve leaking,as you said. Was able to by pass the filter & got PSI to 120.
Now will order new filter & purge valve kit.
Thanks so much.Now you made my Xmas trip to see my granddaughter in CoCo Beach a go. Happy Holidays and thanks again.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #12

Enjoy your trip

Tags
air, freightliner