Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Freightliner batteries

I was servicing the house batteries in our 08 Damon Essence the other day. Cleaning a bit of corrosion and spraying anti-corrosive and adding a little bit of water. When I got to the chassis batteries, I found no corrosion and was happy about that, but noticed the caps are screwed in flush and saw no evidence they are even vented. Now these are Freighliner batteries, came stock with the MH and chassis. I got to wondering if perhaps these batteries are indeed sealed and if it is even necessary to check water levels. I doubt they are the AGM types, but I had never noticed the lack of vents until I saw these.
Did I miss something? Or are these maintenance free?

doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
doc: This article indicates they are probably "maintenance free" you can check with Freightliner to be sure. (give them your VIN number)

http://www.freightlinerchassisowners.../batteries.htm

The owner's club website has a lot of good info in the Tech tidbits section. "Know your Chassis" has some good reading..

Hope this helps
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doc,
I have a Winni Destination 2008 and I was concerned about adding a BatteryMinder as to whether it was Flooded, AGM, or GEL. I called Freightliner and was told that it was a Flooded, unvented, maintenance free battery. I would suspect that is what they are putting in all of their chassis.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks guys and good!! I was hoping they were maintenance free, but was pretty sure they were not AGMs. PIA to get into that little compartment to add/check water, so that makes it better for me. I will talk with someone at Gaffney shop to make sure, but I believe you nailed it. Thanks again
Old 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doc,
This little jewel can be found at Golf Car Catalog com and reduces the PIA considerably.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #6

The Essence chassis is the same as my Tuscany which has sealed batteries. The chassis batteries do not require servicing.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Doc,
This little jewel can be found at Golf Car Catalog com and reduces the PIA considerably.
Wish my battery slide would come out far enough to use this filler. The middle battery is easy to fill with a turkey baster even though not too easy to see into the cells. But the rear battery is almost impossible to even see into the cells with a very small mirror and flashlight. Definitely have to use the turkey baster on that one. Undoubtedly the engineers who design these battery slide out drawers have never even seen one with the batteries installed in them.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 04-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I can't use that filler device either. My chassis battery compartment does not move (IF I needed to add water ) and the house batteries won't slide out far enough to get it on top. So for me it is either a small funnel and a turkey baster. (Is that spelled right?)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Here are some possible solutions for hard-to-reach batteries:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...l-systems/4592

http://www.amazon.com/THEXTON-MFG-Ac.../dp/B000J4KQCY

http://www.strauto.com/120162.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
I bought the Camping World set for my batteries right after my first set of batteries went dry. Every couple months,I stick the tube in a bottle of distilled water and squeeze the ball and it fills all the cells at once. That's been 6 years ago,the batteries are still going strong.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #11

Nothing better or easier than the Flo-Rite system. I've used it on 2 different coaches on 3 separate sets of batteries. No looking in the mirror with the flashlight in one hand, mirror in the other and turkey baster in the third. Oh yeah, the tops of the batteries stay completely dry and therefore no corrosion. A bit costly but the aggravation it saves.... WOW! First thing I transferred into the new Bus when we bought it

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
Nothing better or easier than the Flo-Rite system. I've used it on 2 different coaches on 3 separate sets of batteries. No looking in the mirror with the flashlight in one hand, mirror in the other and turkey baster in the third. Oh yeah, the tops of the batteries stay completely dry and therefore no corrosion. A bit costly but the aggravation it saves.... WOW! First thing I transferred into the new Bus when we bought it

John
We use & like the Flo-Rite system also. Our opinion is, it will extend the battery life enough to save you money. You never open the battery again & for sure, you don't mind adding some water more often.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
doc
we are taking delivery on thursday of our new tuscany
i have two brand new interstate gell mat batteries in my fiver...that are staying with me, i boiled out the other batteries and i wonder of the 4 golf cart batteries might be swapped out for my new sealed batteries or added in as another source of 12 v power for the inverter????
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It's somewhat of a risk to mix battery types, but since your gels are new it might be ok. Gel are supposed to get a different charge rate than flooded cell batteries, tho. Your best bet would be to sell the gels or sell the golf carts and buy two more gels.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote