Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Freightliner - Brake sytems that tap in to air supply

This was posted in another thread on Toad brake systems:

"Freightliner frowns on tapping into the air supply when adding a supplemental braking system to your toad. In fact we were told at Camp Freightliner that if you have service at (at least the Gaffney location) Freightliner and they notice it, they will disconnect the added air connector for the toad brakes."

I can't believe that to be correct. I have the SMI Air Force One on my Freightliner chassis. Comments, thanks.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Learned the same thing from Spartan today. Spartan sells a kit ($320) which includes a separate air tank and isolation valves. This allows the supplementary braking system to have its own reservoir and isolate it from the chassis brakes.
The reason given its that there is a requirement from the government on how chassis air must be handled. Tapping into chassis air violates the requirement. The Spartan person giving the talk at the FMCA Rally quoted the statute but I can't remember it.

So I guess technically if you are at a Spartan or freightliner facility and they see a violation they are compelled (legally) to fix it.

Just the messenger
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Learned the same thing from Spartan today. Spartan sells a kit ($320) which includes a separate air tank and isolation valves. This allows the supplementary braking system to have its own reservoir and isolate it from the chassis brakes.
The reason given its that there is a requirement from the government on how chassis air must be handled. Tapping into chassis air violates the requirement. The Spartan person giving the talk at the FMCA Rally quoted the statute but I can't remember it.

So I guess technically if you are at a Spartan or freightliner facility and they see a violation they are compelled (legally) to fix it.

Just the messenger
This is from the SMI web site

Will Air Force One affect my air brakes?

In a word no. SMI worked with Spartan Chassis and Bendix to create the only air brake system that meets federal regulations. These regulations are designed to protect the coach air supply as well as the towed vehicle in the event of a towing system failure.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

Here is a response I received from SMI on the Freightliner and Spartan question concerning tapping in to the Chassis air system.

Good morning, I’m glad you brought that up since most do not do their research to this depth. We understood that as well. This is why we went to Spartan and asked them to help us design our kit. They did, and we actually offer the exact same kit they are offering in a smaller form. Spartan and Freightliner have approved our kit since it is DOT approved. This motorhome portion comes standard with every Air Force One kit. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Regards,

Jason Foster
Customer Service

800-893-3763Info@smibrake.com
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Nice work SMI! Thanks for that response, it is great to see a company willing to invest the resources that they have to ensure compliance. Unfortunately we do not always see that.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, brake