Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Freightliner Dash Gauges---RED

My coach has 8 seperate gauge (not the cluster). They are backlit in brite red and I'm having a hard time seeing them and driving at night. Is the color changeable, and has anybody done so?
JPMaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
My coach has 8 seperate gauge (not the cluster). They are backlit in brite red and I'm having a hard time seeing them and driving at night. Is the color changeable, and has anybody done so?
Did you try using the dimmer to tone the brightness down some? The best gauge illumination color is red, and is what is used exclusively in aircraft, as it has the least affect on night vision.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

Yes, I dimmed the gauges. Its probably my eyesight, cant read the mileage. The red has to go, and the coach may go with it, if I cant change the color. Blue or green would be nice.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

Our 2003 Journey DL39 has Green Lighted back ground lights and is great to my old eyes.
We used the Red Lights in the Pilot house on the ships and that was OK back then but I admit the Charts were not clear in that color lighting. Course if you study and prepare you usually don't need to read the charts underway.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Did you try using the dimmer to tone the brightness down some? The best gauge illumination color is red, and is what is used exclusively in aircraft, as it has the least affect on night vision.
Except for those of use with Red/Green colorblindness that cannot see red gauges at all.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

I am getting new glasses tomorrow. Reds seem a bit blurred, but on this dash I'm sure no glasses will correct it. The wife, who has good vision asked how in the world could I drive, the glare is that bad. My coach is a late 1999, the year they went from the from the cluster gauge to the seperate ones. We bought the coach a year ago, and I never thought of driving it at night, never had this problem before. Hopefully, I can do something, short of posting it in the for sale adds. Yeah, it's really that bad.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Sorry Capt Bill, but I fly a 737-700 NG and all the panel lights in the airplane (Boeing) are white. My Triple E Empress motorhome on a 1999 Freightliner chassis is all red. Not good. Would love to change my background lighting as well.
New RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The dash lights in my 2004 are all green, but that's the way American Coach spec'ed it. Maybe a call to Freightliner would get some info on how they do it? I suspect it is either the bulbs or perhaps even a cover over a white bulb, since it is obviously tailorable.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I see I'm not alone with my dislike of the red color. Eye doctor says some of it is coming from the need of new glasses, but red color likes to "bounce around" in the eye and is sometimes hard to focus clearly. Now that I know some coaches came with green, I will check with Freightliner and I'll post what I find.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #10

OK, I talked to a very pleasant gentleman at Freightliner in Fontana California. After doing some vin # investigation, he believes that the gauges might have colored LED's and they are sold as a complete unit and Freightliner does not stock anything but the complete gauge, ranging from $112 to over $500 for the tach and speedo. He suggested I remove one of the cheaper gauges and see if it can be taken apart and if so, Radio Shack might stock colored LED's. Anybody have any opinions on this?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Starting 1-1-99 until 5-1-2000 Freightliner used Kysor - Medallion, System III gauges for RV, School Busses, etc. . The company now is called Medallion Instrument Systems and they may be able to help with the lighting for those gauges. Medallion Instrumentation :: About Our Company :: Heritage

Hope this helps,
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #12

Thanks Hooligan, I just them an email and will call them on Monday.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
JPMaly, if they are LEDs then replacing them is cheap and easy after getting to the board that they are soldered on. They are polarized but the pins are easy to identify. Online suppliers such as DigiKey have them for less than a dollar each.

You are not alone with the red color situation. My wife can't read a red sign or gauge and they are getting a little fuzzy for me, too.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #14

For a 1999, LEDs would be ahead of the average curve, tho not impossible. I've installed aftermarket gauges that had a small plastic sock over the changeable light bulb, and the kits came w/red & green socks. You may find they have a small socket type bulb w/color cover. If so, you could use a green Mylar film over the bulb, or other color of your choice.