Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #1

FYI, I just received a memo from Freightliner regarding a recall that some oil coolers on some vehicles may crack due to over pressurization. The oil cooler will be replaced with a cooler that has a higher flow rate and pressure rating. The field service campaign is SF340AB..Call your local Freightliner Customer Service with your VIN number and refer to the campaign number to see if your vehicle is subject to this problem.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #2

FYI, I just received a memo from Freightliner regarding a recall that some oil coolers on some vehicles may crack due to over pressurization. The oil cooler will be replaced with a cooler that has a higher flow rate and pressure rating. The field service campaign is SF340AB..Call your local Freightliner Customer Service with your VIN number and refer to the campaign number to see if your vehicle is subject to this problem.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #3

Hey Woody: I've got a 330 CAT/Allison Tranny/Freightliner set up on a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP. I ordered the coach built to my specs and took delivery 5/1/2003. I'm now on my FOURTH transmission cooler and I've found NO ONE to explain why so many coolers have failed in my coach! Is the cooler you're talking about a TRANSMISSION Cooler?
The Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The cooler is for the hydraulic oil, not the transmission oil. Freightlioner had a number of cooling issues with the Freightliner XC chassis and the Cummins 400 ISL. Too much heat for too small a radiator is what it boils down to. They did a few recalls to fix the airflow around it with baffles, etc and they also replaced the Dexron 3 fluid with heavier 15W-40 motor oil so that the hydraulic fan motor would spoin faster once the oil got hot (the lighter Dexron would thin out and the motor would lose RPM).

Now they find out that the heavier motor oil causes the hydraulic oil cooler to rupture because there's too much pressure in it. So this recall fix is basically to fix the last recall fix. It is not related to your transmission cooler problems.

Note that this recall is only for the 400 ISL powered chassis with side radiator. The smaller Cats with rear radiators don't have that problem.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #5

Hi Cruzer,wonder if you know what the symtoms of hydraulic fluid overheat on the 400 isl are.
I have a 2005 using dextron, and because I live in the uk and keep the rv in the states recalls are a special pain.
The freightliner customer service folk simply say get it done but not why in any detail
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's not an issue with overheating the oil. The oil is fine and the job that the oil cooler does, namely cool the oil, is working just fine. The issue is that the system originally came with Dexron III automatic transmission fluid in it. Dexron III is a good fluid and didn't overheat in that application.

However, FL has had issues with the engines overheating on the 400 ISL due to the minimal size of the radiator. One of the previous service recalls was to replace the Dexron III with 15W-40 motor oil. Their reasoning is that the motor oil is heavier in viscosity and is better capable of keeping the hydraulic fan motor spinning at the desired speed. They felt that once the Dexron got warm it might thin out and not turn the fan motor at it's full rated speed, therefore not properly cooling the radiator. Personally, I feel that's a stretch because I use Dexron in many hydraulic applications, including some HD construction equipment, with no loss of performance. But that's neither here not there.

The fact is that the heavier oil has popped a few hydraulic oil coolers because they weren't rated to handle that high of a flow with the thicker motor oil, so they leaked. The new oil cooler is about 3/4" longer but it is of heavier construction. It won't cool your oil any better but it will be a stronger cooler and "shouldn't" leak.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote