Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Freightliner m3,m4,m5 service cost

Just left Freightliner in Chandler, Az, they quoted me 1800.00 for m3 service that camp freightliner has in their books (as well as in our manuals) an additional 400+ dollars for synthetic(which is required)!! 
I have a smaller 300hp in my Thor Palazzo...but does this seem high to folks?
Looking at old post in IRV2 from 6-7 years ago it was almost half this current price?....it is because with more MH's on road AND Oasis shops that prices are skyrocketing?
Any feedback or comments are welcome on this....just bought a whole bunch of product (440.00) from the freighliner truck during ralley in Mesa....and oasis dealer says they use their product(which is the same prices )...so now i have extra!!
By the way.....Freightliner in west Phoenix said they have a 5 week backup...HOW DO I rate a Oasis dealer at this point??
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year I had my local freightliner dealer quote the 3rd year maintenance and he was about twice what Gaffney quoted. Worth the trip plus feel more confident in their work.
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

That's just over 2k miles one way (and a week or more driving)...we leave for summer trip in 20 days. WHY IS Gaffney the only place in the whole country people are OK with doing service work.....Why can't they open a Gaffney on west coast or central usa?????? I already drive to elkhart for Thor!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
First off if you have a Cummins engine the Synthetic oil IS NOT REQUIRED. Second I'd be looking at a local diesel/truck repair service that has a good reputation in the area. Look for one that has a fleet of heavy haul tow truck. For example in our area of western NY the local Freightliner center in Buffalo NY charges over $125 per hour. I use a local diesel/truck service center that charges $80 per hour BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at the M3, 4, and 5, service requirements that are listed in your user manuals and over 1/2 of the stuff you can do yourself with no issues. I JUST dropped my coach off for a 30,000 mile service plus, service of the air dryer, changing the serpentine, a set of extra fuel filters, and other things, including, install of the Air Force 1 coach portion of the system I'm betting that my bill will be $1000.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
First off if you have a Cummins engine the Synthetic oil IS NOT REQUIRED. Second I'd be looking at a local diesel/truck repair service that has a good reputation in the area. Look for one that has a fleet of heavy haul tow truck. For example in our area of western NY the local Freightliner center in Buffalo NY charges over $125 per hour. I use a local diesel/truck service center that charges $80 per hour BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at the M3, 4, and 5, service requirements that are listed in your user manuals and over 1/2 of the stuff you can do yourself with no issues. I JUST dropped my coach off for a 30,000 mile service plus, service of the air dryer, changing the serpentine, a set of extra fuel filters, and other things, including, install of the Air Force 1 coach portion of the system I'm betting that my bill will be $1000.
"Transmission" fluid requires synthetic!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Plazzoteam. sorry you didn't mention that it was the tranny fluid you were referring to. As to HAVING TO have it changed. Do like a lot of us do. Take an oil sample and sent it to say Blackstone labs. Last year at 27000 they said the oil was still perfect and if I wanted to be proactive to change the filters, so that's what is being done this year along with another oil sample. These Allisons come with Transynde (spelling) oil that has a service life that can easily be extended with oil sampling.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

Thank you DLindy....can I ask you to forward the Blackstone info you use?!?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Blackstone Labs, kits are free an tests are $28 per bottle.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #9

I've ordered my free kit...thanks very much for the recommendation!!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What year is your MH? I think the trans fluid is a 5 yr change on newer models with synthetic.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
garykk; Our coach is a 2012 as my signature shows. Oil change intervals can be extended with the use of oil analysis like thru Blackstone Labs. As is wrote earlier the lab last year showed the oil still perfect and that if I wanted to be proactive I could change the oil filters, which I did the other day. There's a member here that was a fluid engineer and can explain how fluid life can be extended well past it's normal change interval. My tranny came with the Transynde(spelling) oil.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
What year is your MH? I think the trans fluid is a 5 yr change on newer models with synthetic.
2013 model(Thor Palazzo, 300 Cummings, 2100 trans)...however build date was in 10/2012! We are leaving on large trip and figured I'd be ahead of the game (and do the 5 year, 60k service now)!?
Any advice with a 5yr service?(Freightliner loves their service at 150 a hour for Motorhomes)
Old 05-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Well here goes the cost of my modified M3 (30,000mi) service.
Oil & filter change, oil Shell Rotella, and oil sample
Trans oil sampled
Full Chassis lube
Radiator, check protection levels
Air filter change
Fuel filters changed and also a set of spare filters
Air dryer serviced
Serpentine belt changed to Gates Fleetrunner Green
Check front hub oil/levels
Differential fluid check
Oil suspension height control rods
Check ride height
Inspect CAC and Radiator for dirt etc.
Install coach portion of Air Force 1 braking system
AND - - - grand total $1260.38, Parts 312.10, Oil $86.40, Labor, 10hrs= $750, New York state inspection $20, Tax $91.88

Most everything else on the 30,000 mile Freightliner inspection sheet are things we do everyday/monthly/semi-annually ourselves and I couldn't see paying someone else to do what I can do. Then again I've twisted wrench's since 1966 including 16 years in the Army as a heavy wheeled vehicle mechanic.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Well here goes the cost of my modified M3 (30,000mi) service.
Oil & filter change, oil Shell Rotella, and oil sample
Trans oil sampled
Full Chassis lube
Radiator, check protection levels
Air filter change
Fuel filters changed and also a set of spare filters
Air dryer serviced
Serpentine belt changed to Gates Fleetrunner Green
Check front hub oil/levels
Differential fluid check
Oil suspension height control rods
Check ride height
Inspect CAC and Radiator for dirt etc.
Install coach portion of Air Force 1 braking system
AND - - - grand total $1260.38, Parts 312.10, Oil $86.40, Labor, 10hrs= $750, New York state inspection $20, Tax $91.88

Most everything else on the 30,000 mile Freightliner inspection sheet are things we do everyday/monthly/semi-annually ourselves and I couldn't see paying someone else to do what I can do. Then again I've twisted wrench's since 1966 including 16 years in the Army as a heavy wheeled vehicle mechanic.
So my understanding is you credited 750.00 to yourself...75 bucks an hour!? Wanna head to Phoenix for me..I like that price better.. (our Son is a Army Ranger..101st)

Tags
freightliner, service