Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

Freightliner Oasis service center comes up dry

Freightliner makes the following claim on their Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation website:

"The Freightliner Oasis Network is made up of more than 90 select dealerships in North America and is growing. Each service location has a dedicated motorhome facility with trained motorhome service technicians, a motorhome service area, secure parking for motorhome customers and additional amenities specifically for motorhome owners.

The Freightliner Oasis Network is tailored to the motorhome customer. The network of dealers is dedicated to providing service to exceed motorhome customers' needs."

McCoy Freightliner, in Portland Oregon, is listed as an Oasis dealer. The problem is, either nobody told them, or they forgot. The service manager has never heard of the Oasis program, and was not aware they were listed as an Oasis dealer. When I tried to make an appointment for an M3 service, they told me they don't make appointments (it's first come, first served). When I asked them to quote me the price for an M3 service on my 2002 XC chassis with 110k miles, they said $310. When I told them that sounded too cheap, and asked them what they would be doing, they were unfamiliar with the RV chassis service schedule.

In the past, I have been referred to their Sprinter service center for my RV, but they said they don't do brake work, and they have no lifts, so they can only do simple service and repairs. The service manager has never heard of the Oasis dealer network. He was not familiar with M1, M2 or M3 service. I had to refer him to the Freightliner website. He did say he would like to see McCoy meet the Oasis standard if that was what they are supposed to be. Unfortunately, it isn't his call.

McCoy Freightliner, as is the case with most Freightliner dealers, is a commercial truck service center. They don't cater to, or really welcome, RV customers. Oasis dealers are supposed to take appointments, have a separate RV lounge, and a secure parking facility for RVs. McCoy has none of this. I've checked out the driver's lounge; I would rather wait in a gas station bathroom.

My attempts to get anyone at the Gaffney center on the phone were futile. The receptionist claims she only has a list of employees by last name, with no way to connect me to the person in charge of the Oasis program. I sent in the feedback form, but haven't heard back.

I don't know about other "Oasis" service centers, but Portland doesn't have one. The website says it does, but that is definitely not the case. Anyone else have any experience with Oasis service centers? I would like to find out which of the 90 claimed Oasis service centers actually try to meet the standard.
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
By the way, Mike Cody, has stated many times at Camp Freightliner. They have done away with M1, M2 and M3 service. They now have service based on miles/years,
12/1, 24/2, 36/3 & 48/4. You should go to a Camp Freightliner Class and get the new maintenance schedules.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

I had an expierence once with Springfield, MO being listed, but same issue when I called. I was in New Orleans at the time, heading that way, but never stopped in.

Did you call their Corporate Headquarters (503) 745-8000?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to give McCoy Freightliner in Salem a call. They show Salem as the address but they are actually located at the Brooks exit. I have been using them for several years first for my 04 Tropi-Cal on a Freightliner chassis and now my HR Endeavor on a Roadmaster chassis. I usually tow the car down and just drop off the motorhome and they have it back to me in a day or so. They seem to do a fair number of motorhomes there, the access is better and it is not so crazy with all the semi's. Never did like the Portland shop just too busy I won't even go there to purchase parts. As someone else posted M1 etc service is no longer being used so you need to just state which services you want done.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

"" McCoy Freightliner, as is the case with most Freightliner dealers, is a commercial truck service center. They don't cater to, or really welcome, RV customers. ""

That's also been my experience at 6 different Freightliner "Oasis" shops I've used all over the western half of the country. The Oasis program is a marketing gimmick that exists in name only. Maybe Gaffney, SC is different, but if I have to drive across the country every time I need RV chassis service, I don't want a Freightliner chassis.
To be fair, that anti RV attitude exists at most all the major big rig truck shops, regardless of brand or chain name.
My solution was to buy shop manuals and do my own service. If its more than I want to tackle, then I use an independent truck shop that appreciates my business.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

We have had mixed results with the Oasis program. Freightliner Arizona is setup for Motorhome service, have a good parking area with full service, dedicated RV service mgr. Pleased both times we were there. On the other hand, we had service done at Orlando Freightliner - another Oasis dealer. What a dump ! Poor service accompanied by lots of BS, overcharging, etc. Never go back there !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
By the way, Mike Cody, has stated many times at Camp Freightliner. They have done away with M1, M2 and M3 service. They now have service based on miles/years,
12/1, 24/2, 36/3 & 48/4. You should go to a Camp Freightliner Class and get the new maintenance schedules.
PDXDisco,

Going to the class is nice but not a have to deal. Probably less than 1% of DP owners can get a seat in any given year. Anyone who has attended the class can send you the new service schedules. Or you can call Freightliner and ask to have them emailed to you. Mike Cody, if you can get to him will send them to you. If you send me a PM with email address I can send them to you.

Berry
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ran into a similar situation in El Paso, TX...Freightliner dealer had no idea on how to service a MH....over filled the crankcase by 3 gallons, never lubed it, had to raise holy %#%}> with Freightliner HQ, finally got some service but even then I had to show the Tech how to measure chassis height....
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
I thought they still had the 6 month service too.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
The Oasis program is a marketing gimmick that exists in name only. .
I wouldn't go that far. Sacramento has a separate, dedicated RV (Oasis) and in Tolleson, Arizona they recently built a very large, modern dedicated Oasis RV center. It's sad to hear of these others though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I thought they still had the 6 month service too.

That is correct. Many owner's when taking delivery in many cases need to perform the 6 month when they get home. If I was to purchase another new coach I would check the chassis build date. If near or past 6 mo. old, I would work my deal and then inform dealer he needs to perform service on his coach before I take delivery. Most of us do not know the 6 mo. requirement until we get home and find time to read the details in the books.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

If Freightliner did away with the M1/M2/M3 service designation, they should post something to that effect on their Custom Chassis website. I just joined the Custom Chassis owner's club, and there's nothing on there about this, either. The material they have on their website for download includes the service schedule showing M1/M2/M3 service points. The current maintenance manual on their site shows the M service points. I have not found anything with these new service points. It's nice to know, but I shouldn't have to hear it from other RV owners that have ponied up $100 and managed to get into a Freightliner class that serves a small portion of the owners.

It's nice to know that if I attended their workshop/tour/cheering event I would actually get current information, but I shouldn't have to do that to get correct information. It seems to me that RV chassis' are the poor step-children that don't get the attention. Freightliner does a lot of business with truckers, and their service centers see those trucks often, and make a lot of money off service. In the case of an RV chassis, the Freightliner dealer never saw a cent form the sale, and doesn't see the chassis owner often enough to really care about cultivating a good relationship, or even accommodating them.

The RV dealer made money on the sale, and may or may not do a good job of handling issues with the coach, but most seem out of their depth when dealing with chassis issues. Freightliner needs to find a way to incentivize their chassis service centers sufficiently to care about the owners, or get serious about training the RV dealers to properly service their chassis. The current reality requires RV owners to roll the dice again and again when they travel with their RVs (isn't that what they're for?).

If all you do is short local trips, or "commute" between a winter and summer location, then it's possible to find a service location in both places. This is not the case when out on the road. It's clear to me that you can't depend upon an Oasis service center to meet up to the expectations that Freightliner is setting for RV owners. For me, that makes the Oasis designation worthless.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #13

I finally found the new service schedule on the Freightliner Custom Chassis website. It's a little buried, but it's there. It turns out you have to click on a tab that looks like it's not not an available option, because it's completely "greyed out". Here's where it is:

Go to the FCCC website: Freightliner Custom Chassis
Click on the motorhome section at the bottom left of the page.
Page comes up: “Motorhome Chassis Family”.
Click on “FCC Operator’s and Maintenance Manuals” at bottom right of screen.
Page comes up with “Operators Manuals”.
You will see the Operator's manuals listed here. There is a de-selected tab (grey) at the top right labeled “Maintenance Manuals”.
Click on the grey tab.
The maintenance manuals are listed here.

I just invested in a cordless 18 volt grease gun. I'm going zerk hunting.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

I tried the Brooks (Salem, OR) Freightliner. I sent my chassis serial number and service items requested, and was told I would get a call back with an estimate and appointment date. I never heard back.

Freightliner MIRAGE Service Center is more like it.

Tags
freightliner, service