Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner rear diff fluid change

OK, so how many with Frieghtliners really change the differential/rear axle lube as often as recommended in the manual? I had mine changed about 30,000 miles ago and they used Mobil 1 synthetic lube. I just don't see the logic in needing to change that lube very often.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #2

Meritor changed their recommended change interval to 50,000 mi or one year. Synthetic oil is 250,000 or 3 years. I have a Meritor letter to that effect.

John

Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
smlranger:
Meritor Bulletin TP-9539 shows the lubrication schedule and approved fluids. It's available here. http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS...nts/TP9539.PDF

Three year changes are much more reasonable!!!
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #4

On my Freightliner XCS chassis the specified change interval for the differential fluid is 2 years. Miles never enter into my change intervals on the differential or any other thing on my MH. The only reason I can see for the time specification on differential oil change is condensation of water. Still I feel that the specification is very conservative.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A Freightliner tech told me the reason for the frequent change interval is moisture and it affects synthetic as well.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #6

Hey smlranger. Did you change the rear diff fluid yourself or have someone do it for you? If you did it yourself, was it very difficult to do? My Journey has about 40K miles on it and the previous owner wasn't much on keeping service records. It is on my short list of things I still need to do as well as changing the air filter and transmission fluid/filter. I bought the coach this past December and each weekend, I tackled a new maintenance task that I feel needs to be done. I sure wish the prev owner would have kept better records. When I called and asked him when the last time the "Air Dryer" had been serviced, he thought I talking about the "hair dryer" by the sink in the bathroom. I knew right then, he was not the maintenance junkie that I am.

Is there a link or diagram on instructions for this task or the other two I mentioned above (air filter or Trans fluid)?

Thanks
smlranger.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Rear differential, remove the fill plug and the drain plug on the bottom, drain completely. Refill with 80w90 gear oil or 75w90 synthetic gear oil.
MERITOR RS-15-120 axle holds 16 pints.
Axle lubricants: http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS...nts/TP9539.PDF

Freightliner Maintenance Manual for Rv chassis is here. FCCC Motorhome Chassis: Manuals Click operator/maintenance manuals. Then select maintenace tab then rv maintenance manual.
I put the link for approved rear axle lubricants above because in the freightliner manual, *** THERE IS A MISPRINT-Section 35-02 Rear Axle Oil Change "Refill axle with Transynd ATF" :: SHOULD BE GEAR OIL !!!
I use a manual lube pump that screws into the gear oil bottle to pump oil into the axle. (auto parts store)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Meritor changed there website links. Here is the update to where the TP9539 doc is at:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/helm-arm-lod/tp9539.pdf
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The FL link changed I keep a copy of this doc in the MH.
http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

Page 55-56 for the rear diff.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
And here is the updated link the maintenance manual:
https://secure.freightliner.com/newb...s%20manual.pdf
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
When I did the Differential on my former MH,all I could get in was 6 1/2
quarts of Mobil-1, 75W90. I guess you can not drain all of it.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
This might be a stupid question, but I assume the rear wheel bearings are lubed from the the Differential oil. Correct?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
YES
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
This might be a stupid question, but I assume the rear wheel bearings are lubed from the the Differential oil. Correct?
jhanan,
No Sir, no questions are "stupid". How else ya gonna learn? As has been answered, yes, they are lubed by the diff oil. And, I might add while all of you are under the large beast changing or checking that diff oil, spin your flash light to the seal area of back side of each hub and check them out. I just replaced the left hub seal a few months ago. It was not an overly hard job. A bit time consuming and, of course you need tools to be able to break free the lug nuts and the rather large hub nuts too.

If anyone's got a leak in the area, and would like to change the seal themselves, PM me and I'd be glad to assist. I didn't even tip the coach to the opposite side to keep the oil from running out while I had that side apart. Not much came out. But, one VERY IMPORTANT point here. If any of your air systems are like mine, you'll loose air over a given amount of time. I had to top off the system once a day to keep the air above the lower limit at which the spring system would automatically apply the parking brakes. No big deal, on mine, it's right there at the air dryer anyway. Just some info here, if anyone's interested.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote