RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Recalled for Brake Light Failure

https://www.trucks.com/2018/10/02/da...er-rv-chassis/

Quote:
Daimler Trucks North America recalled 12,311 Freightliner recreational vehicle chassis because a manufacturing error may cause brake lights to fail.

The 24 affected models include 2016-19 Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XBS, XCR, XCM, XCL, XCS built between Nov. 23, 2015, and June 29, 2018, with a certain power distribution module. During manufacturing, the internal circuit board may have been subject to bending stresses that could lead to intermittent open circuits and failure of the rear marker, brake lights or left turn signal light. Daimler traced a March 2018 brake-light failure complaint to improper seating of the circuit board.

It will notify dealers and customer of the recall Oct. 29.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ours is in right now for no tail lights and no left turn signal. Should know something tomorrow.

Aweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

My 2015 had a brake light recall couple years ago. Wasn't having any problems but took it in anyway. First night out after repair brake lights stuck on and burned up one of the rear light fixtures, had to have the complete unit replaced after a second attempt at repair. Fixed the light problem but made the peddle harder to press down.
Several months after second repair discovered the windshield wipers didn't work, they messed up the plug coming from the wiper motor. Had to repair that.
Took 2 extra 180 mile round trips for all that and sure wished I'd never taken it in for the recall.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We received this Interim Recall Notice yesterday.

Quote:
October 2018
FL788
Interim Recall Notice
NHTSA #18V-482

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
See attache VIN list
SUBJECT: FCCC Motorhome Chassis Rear PDM's

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Daimler Trucks North America LLC, on behalf of its wholly owned subsidiary, Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation, had decided that a defect that related to motor vehicle safety exists on specific Freightliner Custom Chassis X-Line chassis manufactured November 23, 2015 through June 29, 2018.

On certain X-Line multiplexed chassis, the rear marker, brake lights, or left turn signal lights, may cease to function while driving. Brake lights that do not function correctly may not notify motorists of a braking event, which may increase the rest of a crash.

This is the first of two notices you will received regarding this subject. this letter is to inform you of an upcoming Recall to correct the issue noted above. Daimler Trucks is currently securing replacement parts. There is no action for you to take at this time.

The second notice will inform you when the final remedy is available. When you receive the second notice, please contact your authorized Daimler Trucks North America dealer to schedule the Recall for your vehicle.

If you do not own the vehicle that corresponds to the identification number(s), which appears on the Recall Notice, please return the notice in the postage-paid envelope with any information you can furnish that will assist us in locating the present owner.

If you have questions about this recall, please contact the Warranty Campaigns Department at (800) 547-0712, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, e-mail address DTNA.War.Campaigns@Daimler.com, or the Customer Assistance Center at (800) FTL-HELP, after normal business hours. If you are not able to have the defect remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236 (TTY: 800-424-9153); or to http://www.safercar.gov.

We regret any inconvenience this action may cause but feel certain you understand our interest in motor vehicle safety.

WARRANTY CAMPAIGNS DEPARTMENT
Enclosure
The enclosure listed our Forza's VIN.
Wanderl0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
A few hours ago I posted the fantastic service I received from FCCC. The issue I was encountering was the dash AC compressor and condenser failing to run when first turned on but approx. one hour later would begin working. When I left for the Freightliner service center this morning it was still dark and I realized that none of my rear or running or brake lights were working. The part that was replaced to correct my AC problem was the rear power distribution module which is the part being replaced in the recall. My AC was corrected and all lights working. The tech who worked on my motorhome advised me that just about everything in the rear of the coach was powered by this module. When I returned home I found the recall notice in my mailbox. Actually got my recall done before receiving the notice.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I got the interim recall notice a while back. Has anyone received the actual recall notice for this work? I would like to get this done plus another one prior to my next trip in April.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Had my coach serviced two weeks ago, gave them the intrum notice and they said there’s been no notice of “the fix part” available yet. If you’ve had a failure and got it fixed, it’s probably with the original faulty part. The recall would still apply.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

I haven't received a notice so interesting to follow this. Luckily, no issues except for the lbcu recall and it partially fixed it. The date resets by itself so have to go back again for that
Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

Is this a repair that the selling dealer can fix, or do I have to take to a Freightliner repair center?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #10

It’s a Freightliner recall, so I would expect a Freightliner shop would be the only place.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

In Gaffney. Had the coach serviced while attending Camp Freightliner. If you have not attended the class, you should. The fix for the recall is not yet available.
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
OK, I will get the brake caliper recall done for now.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
A question I would have is whether the lights in the toad would also not work? I’m supposing not since that all probably goes thru the module?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

My 2017 Ventana LE 4037 is at the local Freightliner shop for a recall on the headlights. When I dropped it off I asked about the brake light recall and they said they had the information necessary to fix that too. One interesting problem is that Freightliner had never received the necessary notification from the selling dealer so they wouldn't authorize the recalls. It took a week to get this resolved. Thankfully I wasn't broke down thousands of miles from home!

Tags
brake, freightliner, led, light, recall