Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Freightliner Service in Florida

Any suggestions for having routine service (M2 or M3) done in Florida. Sterling Trucks (Freightliner Oasis), Tampa appears to be pricing MH service off the wall, $1,000 - $1,100 for an M2 with Oil Change of Cat 350 hp. Labor rates are $10 more per HR for MH's also.
Bill Reetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told from the Gaffney center, that the Oasis dealers will always charge more due to the extras they provide for MH owners, clean lobbies, clean RVs and they know motorhomes. Gaffney center charges $95 plus the discount you get there. I paid about $800 for an M3 this spring on my Cummins.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd take a trip to Gafney. Combine it with some recreation in SC or NC so it is fun. The Oasis dealers charge high prices and still seem to begrudge working on motorhomes. I stopped in at Freightliner of Ocala and was unimpressed - definitely a truck repair shop and not much interested in motorhomes.

There is nothing magical about an M2 or M3 and you can print off the list of items on the Freightliner Custom Chassis web site. Some of the items on the list are "if needed" and you should determine that before getting the service, even if you go to Gafney. FL will change transmission fluids before Allison's recommended interval and will change the oil again even if you did it last week. It is your responsibility to make the determination of what can be omitted from the standard list.

You might try a Cummins shop - Cummins Power South has some very nice shops and they do motorhomes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
BEWARE OF OCALA and ORLANDO FREIGHTLINER, they are the same people. I had a very bad experiance with Orlando overcharging, and not knowing what they were doing. Even though they are listed as an Oasis site, I don't see how that is possable! I have a post with details on this thread from 2 winters ago. Go to Gaffney. Again BEWARE !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with RVRoamer and Jestme13.....plan a trip to Gaffney. Stop by Myrtle Beach or plan some other side trip. They are your best bet in terms of reasonable prices and service quality on a Freightliner-based rig.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #6

Quote:
BEWARE OF OCALA and ORLANDO FREIGHTLINER, they are the same people. I had a very bad experiance with Orlando overcharging, and not knowing what they were doing. Even though they are listed as an Oasis site, I don't see how that is possable!
Yes, Ocala is owned by Freightliner Orlando. Orlando Freightliner however is not a designated OASIS dealer. Ocala Freightliner is an OASIS dealer.

I wouldn't call it an Oasis though. The Ocala dealership leaves something to be desired from an esthetics standpoint.
They have however on two separate occasions fixed a problem that did not get resolved despite multiple previous efforts by others, including the Winnebago Factory.
During my last visit they resolved a design problem with the engine brake on my coach. FCCC told them to forget it as it could not be fixed and would not pay for further efforts. I agreed I would pay the bill if it could not be resolved. My involvement with their technician while trying to resolve the problem, led me to believe that their tech would resolve the problem. The tech at Ocala Freightliner did indeed resolve the problem (design problem) and FCCC paid the bill, so everyone was happy.

They (Ocala) had intended to build a new facility next door to their old facility and already own the property. With the economic downturn they delayed that decision and I can’t say I blame them. Hopefully they get better facilities in the future and make them a “real” Oasis dealer, which would please me even more.

Interesting side note, Ocala Freightliner’s hourly rate for working on motor homes is the same as working on trucks.

I have also been to FCCC in Gaffney and agree with others that they do an outstanding job.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

I had FL Orlando charge me 4 hours labor to tell me my engine temperature gage was bad. $3600 for a new console was the only fix.

Later, I went to Gaffney, had them check the gage and a wire was off the sender. There were two wires on my sender. The one to the idiot light was connected and I did overheat once so I knew the sender was working.

Had the radiator cleaned while at Gaffney and had them add an extension to the slobber tube. So far, no more significant temperature increase in the hills.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cummins Power South in Ocala or Jacksonsville is highly regarded by their customers. These are Cummins CoachCare shops that do all kinds of RV repair and maintenance - not just Cummins engines. They are also an authorized Workhorse chassis shop.

Coach Care RV Service and Repair Network - Locations Nationwide
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had the Orlando, Freightliner Dealer do a couple services on my Tiffin Phaeton over the past 2 years, without complaint. I called Red Bay Diesel and got a quote for a M3 Service since we are going to be there in 2 weeks. My question is this:

What is the phone number for Gaffney?
And what is their address?

We just might take a side trip to Gaffney on the way back to Florida from Red Bay, AL.

Thanks y'all ...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #10

I have made an appointment for Gaffney for Aug 28th. Their address and phone are: 103 Campus Drive, Gaffney, SC 29341.
Phone: 864-206-8683
Fax: 864-206-8755

If you go to their web site http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/ then go to motorhome then service there are directions directly to the facility
Bill Reetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Bill ... appreciate the feed back and info.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
I'd take a trip to Gafney. Combine it with some recreation in SC or NC so it is fun. The Oasis dealers charge high prices and still seem to begrudge working on motorhomes. I stopped in at Freightliner of Ocala and was unimpressed - definitely a truck repair shop and not much interested in motorhomes.

There is nothing magical about an M2 or M3 and you can print off the list of items on the Freightliner Custom Chassis web site. Some of the items on the list are "if needed" and you should determine that before getting the service, even if you go to Gafney. FL will change transmission fluids before Allison's recommended interval and will change the oil again even if you did it last week. It is your responsibility to make the determination of what can be omitted from the standard list.

You might try a Cummins shop - Cummins Power South has some very nice shops and they do motorhomes.
I know I'm late with the info but I'm new.
For a reasonably priced oil change go to speedco. They do trucks and large vehicles, (only oil changes) and tires next door they have quit a few locations.
Mine was 169.00 including the generator (cumins isb 300 engine) they included a new fuel filter and a new gen filter and they were pretty quick. They also do lubes.
You can probably locate one of their locations on the net.
Happy camping
indy
resindiana is offline   Reply With Quote