Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #1

Freightliner service problems

I took my new to me 2005 Winnebago Vectra to a freightliner dealer about a year ago when I first purchased it and had a 60,000 mile service done and just to look it over to help me feel more comfortable with my decision(still not there yet ). One of the things on my invoice was check the SCA/DCA levels in my coolant. I then noticed that they apparently used the wrong kind of coolant. They used the new OAT coolant according to their record. After reading about the coolants and verifying with Cummins and Freightliner I came to the conclusion that they put the wrong coolant in. This work was done November last year. I called the device shop and they said they would get back to me. I have now called four times, left animal, then called again and they will not return my call. Where do I go to get satisfaction. Call Freightliner and tell them about the freightliner service issue??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

I'd start by going to the Freightliner dealer and speaking to the main man. If that doesn't work then call Freightliner and I"m sure they'll make sure you get some action
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Most if not all Freightliners are independently owned. Freightliner Factory cannot do anything with the independently own.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Not necessarily so, the Independent companies must adhere to Freightliner rules and regulations as they apply to the care and maintenance of Freightliners products.

I've been told that if they receive complaints they can and will take away their Authorization to work on Freightliner products. That's why my first suggestion was for him to go to the dealer and speak directly to them before making a complaint to Freightliner.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Not necessarily so, the Independent companies must adhere to Freightliner rules and regulations as they apply to the care and maintenance of Freightliners products.

I've been told that if they receive complaints they can and will take away their Authorization to work on Freightliner products. That's why my first suggestion was for him to go to the dealer and speak directly to them before making a complaint to Freightliner.
I agree....I had a problem with lousy service and wrote a letter to FreightLiner. I got a quick response and satisfaction.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I'd start by going to the Freightliner dealer and speaking to the main man. If that doesn't work then call Freightliner and I"m sure they'll make sure you get some action
What do you mean by the freightliner dealer? This is a freightliner shop in Tucson,AZ. that did the work.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Read the attached file, some interesting reading there
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB_TB03-05-2fleetguard coolant compatibility.pdf (75.1 KB, 65 views)
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We must be very careful when discussing and using coolants. The engine maker sends the engines to the chassis builder without coolant. The chassis company puts in the coolant....I do not know if the coach builder has any input as to which coolant is used. In my discussions with Detroit Diesel, they said "everybody uses ELC (extended life coolant)." After buying some ELC, and talking to Fleetwood, I discovered Fleetwood is not part of "everybody" because they use plain ethylene glycol....not ELC.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Very useful information. Thanks for posting it!
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

I would assume they used the red 50/50 mix which is suitable for cummins. I am a parts and service guy for a freightliner dealership and yes we are all independently owned and operated.
BairleaFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BairleaFarm View Post
I would assume they used the red 50/50 mix which is suitable for cummins. I am a parts and service guy for a freightliner dealership and yes we are all independently owned and operated.
Sounds like you would be the person to ask, what can I do if I get no response from the freightliner dealer that worked on my motorhome?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Very interesting. Not quite sure I am reading it correctly, but it appears as if you added the OAT it would not cause any harm. Talking to Freightliner and Cummins over the phone they both said they should not be mixed with a type that requires SCA/DCA, which according to the plate on my vehicle by the engine, mine has SCA/DCA type fluids. I intend to change to the OAT type and try to do it correctly, just trying to keep Freightliner Service group honest.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

On another note my report from JG Lubricant also recommends changing radiator hoses. Has anyone done this? Will I be able to get these items easy enough?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
Sounds like you would be the person to ask, what can I do if I get no response from the freightliner dealer that worked on my motorhome?
If the service manager isnt answering I would call back and ask to speak to his boss. In our situation It would be the Parts and Service Director. As far as calling Freightliner or Freightliner chassis to complain you are most likely wasting your breath. A dealer would have to have a tremendous amount of complaints for Freightliner to get involved. With a single incident it would most likly sit on someones corporate desk forever.

We are a small dealer and take care of issues fairly quick. From what ive heard other dealers can have crappy service and you get blown around and never get a hold of anyone. There have been some dealers that I cant even get a hold of service managers.

As I tell people who complain to me ... Dont let the one or two bad experiences but a bad taste in your mouth for other dealers.
BairleaFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, freightliner, problems, service