Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doing AC is easier than doing oil changes... don't get as dirty... and no crawling under the vehicle....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks got a few tips
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
broke down and bought a set of ac gauges at harbor freight..... then ordered a can valve and adapter from amazon. cheapo set up is about $50... spend a little time watching Utube vids if you haven't messed with ac before.. I started fooling around with it in 1973... kind of got the drift of it now....But, if you know your system is short then you can buy kits from walmart to add some coolant....cheaper in the long run to just buy the gauges and learn a new skill...just remember, never add to the high side and to much is as bad as too little....
Cool.... Will take a look at doing that. Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #18

I took mine to the freightliner shop in Tucson. They charged me $150.00 to put refrigerant in and said they found no leaks. Started off cool but by the time I drove the 70 miles back to my place it was blowing hot. Took it to my local auto mechanic and they found a broken seal in the compressor and replaced it and so far no issues. The freightliner shop also did some other work I was not happy with, such as putting the wrong coolant in my motorhome. That shop really stinks. Since then I do as much as possible on my own. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #19

Well,
After reading this thread, I decided to go out and test ours. We had some repair done on it a couple of months back and, before the work was done, no cold air at all. After the work, nice cold air coming from the vents. So, we just went on a trip from here at home, Lake Havasu City AZ to San Diego and, as many of you know, it's a bit warm out here right now so, to say the least, we were taxing that dash A/C.

Well, it worked great all the way there and all the way back. The closer we got to back home, the hotter the outside temp became. By the time we were within about 30-40 miles from home, we were driving in 112 degrees. And, although I wasn't sweating, I was getting just a tad bit warmer, the closer we got to town. But, I'd put the back of my hand against the A/C ducts every now and then and yep, still cool air coming from them.

So, trying to expect arctic conditions on the INSIDE of the coach when the out side is 112-115 degrees, ain't gonna happen. But, just for the fun of it, after washing the coach, I backed into it's cave and, took my A/C duct thermometer and put it in one of the ducts and put the A/C on full blast. After about 30 seconds of running that A/C with that thermometer in the duct, it was telling me that the temp/air emitting from that duct was 45 degrees. I'm about as happy as I can be with that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
So, trying to expect arctic conditions on the INSIDE of the coach when the out side is 112-115 degrees, ain't gonna happen. But, just for the fun of it, after washing the coach, I backed into it's cave and, took my A/C duct thermometer and put it in one of the ducts and put the A/C on full blast. After about 30 seconds of running that A/C with that thermometer in the duct, it was telling me that the temp/air emitting from that duct was 45 degrees. I'm about as happy as I can be with that.
Scott
I'd love to get 45F out of mine. It was 80F here today, and with recirculation on, air conditioner on, and fan on high speed, I measured the duct temperature to be 60.8F. When I stopped driving, it blew almost 10F colder stationary, but not sure why.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
I'd love to get 45F out of mine. It was 80F here today, and with recirculation on, air conditioner on, and fan on high speed, I measured the duct temperature to be 60.8F. When I stopped driving, it blew almost 10F colder stationary, but not sure why.
Id check your condenser fan, it can be wired to push air or pull air. You want it to push to match the normal airflow when driving. If its pulling you wont get as much flow thru condenser when driving. If its wrong just reverse the wires and it will run the other direction.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Id check your condenser fan, it can be wired to push air or pull air. You want it to push to match the normal airflow when driving. If its pulling you wont get as much flow thru condenser when driving. If its wrong just reverse the wires and it will run the other direction.
Man, I hope Freightliner would have checked that when I reported the problem initially! Good point though. I'll check it. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #23

My old fan was running backwards on my 98 chassis, and it looked like factory install. installed new fan the right way.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
So how are you guys adding refrigerant or changing refrigerant into the system? I thought one needed specialized tools to do this?
purchased a good set of gauges a few years ago, 134 is available everywhere right now.
one day i will find the slow leak, its somewhere along the long route on the chassis, all my fittings are clean and dry...its going somewhere,
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #25

I also put in 1 can of freon with dye into mine during recharge, if it ever leaks you can see it with a black light. My receiver dryer was bad and i put 9 cans of freon into it trying to get the low side to 35 but never got there, 25-30 as compressor cycles. maybe a little yoo much but it was 95 f here and got 60f out of the vents, pretty happy with that.

Got all the freon at oreilly auto, u can add just the can with dye...

Tags
air, air conditioning, chassis, freightliner