Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Front Hitch Mount?

I posted this in the Hitch area with no response...maybe fellow Frieghtliner owners is where I should have started instead. . .

Bear with me, this may sound a little odd without an explanation.

Does anyone have a source for a 2 inch box receiver for the FRONT of a 2009 Damon Outlaw (Frieghtliner Chasis)?

I do NOT expect to tow with it. It's use is to mount a wheel chair type lift to the front of the MH so that I can leave the rear hitch free for the TOAD (and yes, I tried the 2 tube method but there is not enough lift space to mount both).

The tongue weight rating on the 2 inch box is high enough to handle the lilft and chair (174 pounds at tongue) on the back of my Tahoe, yet I don't use the Tahoe as a TOAD.

So, anyone have any sources other than having one build from scratch? I haven't found anything from the major manufactor's that seem to match what I'm looking for...

Thanks for any help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Dan
I am not that familiar with you model. I have a freight liner chassis. From viewing the front end of mine not sure anyone would make that application in a receiver. On mine the frame is pretty far back. I would think you would have to find someone to weld or attach a receiver to your front end. Sorry i could not help you more. I had a friend that has a air stream trailer and he had someone weld a receiver to the front of his pick-up this way he could push his trailer in his driveway.

ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i would try e-trailer, by phone and see if they have a unit that would span the frame width and give you the drop you need to clear the valance, etc
In the past i have used their phone help to solve many odd ball hitch issues
they have lots more than shows up on the website
at the very least i would imagine some of the "generic fits all" receiver hitches that bolt up may be an option if you can find one with the width

you may have to have one built to meet your frame width and clearances.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Year ago I had Eckhart Hitch weld a 2" receiver onto my Holiday Rambler front for our bike rack. I had to sign that I would not use the hitch for towing...Like I would tow in reverse...but it was a CYA on their part. I am sure any hitch shop including U-haul could fix you up.
Happy Trails.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking you will need to visit a custom welding shop. Have one built from scratch by a welder. Carefully installed as to not interfere with steering things an such.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for all the ideas! I've gone by the local U-haul shop (biggest one in two counties), and tried a couple of the custom hitch shops in the local area also. No luck so far but I continue to hope that there is a solution somewhere.

I'm more convinced than ever that I'll have to have one manufactured from scratch. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

You might try a local muffler shop - they often do a lot of welding and various metal hook up devices for trailer hitches.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Front Receiver

I'm going to have a local welding/fab shop start with this:
Name:   image_16161.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  5.4 KB

And mount it to the front with a tube "nerf bar" like this:

Name:   kci_hilites_7423.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  13.0 KB

It will have to be custom to the frame rails...because it seems that nobody has an off-the-self front light bar for motohomes

Will advise results later
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Thanks Steve. That may be the answer. I'm swinging through LA on my min-road trip through TX and talking to an RV salvage yard about picking up a rear box hitch to modify. But, I like your idea even better!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Thanks Steve. That may be the answer. I'm swinging through LA on my min-road trip through TX and talking to an RV salvage yard about picking up a rear box hitch to modify. But, I like your idea even better!
Mack,
I had the same idea about starting with a used box hitch...but my W22 has a crossbar forward of the front chassis horns that is lighter gauge then I want to tie-in to for the Brush Guard/Receiver.

So, I will need to have the fab shop extend the side rails forward into the bumber shell to meet the Brush Guard mount (will just be metal plate). And I'm thinking I will ask for the mount to have a crossbar and will look like a wide "H" shape...receiver mounted to the new crossbar.

I was also thinking that I might have them weld on 2 receivers (like those in the post above - only $18 at Harbor Freight) to the new fab'd cross bar, aligned with the 2 existing openings on my lower grill and to avoid any cutting of fiberglass. I have seen 2 receivers used on front load racks to make them more stable

Stay tuned...More to come
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like you are in the right neighborhood,just don't forget the generator needs to pull out.

Don
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Sounds like you are in the right neighborhood,just don't forget the generator needs to pull out.

Don
Ummm....There's no Gennie in the front of the FRED Outlaw...or any front engine MH, that I know of.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats what happens when a Winnebago pusher owner ventures into places he doesn't belong.

Don
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Not everyone knows that it is a FRED so, that being said, you may want to point that out next time.

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote