RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Where? Carbon canisters came about in the mid 70s, replacing and eliminating gas tank venting in the interest of clean air. Sure, my 64 and my 55 have vented tanks, but my 74 does not, nor do any of the newer cars. But you believe what you want to believe.
Interesting phrasing. Just trying to resolve a problem here. Repeating what the Workhorse tech told me.

I also wondered about that though. It is a sealed system thar has a vacuum. Shouldn't have a vent. Now what?

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Interesting phrasing. Just trying to resolve a problem here. Repeating what the Workhorse tech told me.

I also wondered about that though. It is a sealed system thar has a vacuum. Shouldn't have a vent. Now what?
Kahoona; we're having issues here that are muddying the waters .

" Repeating what the Workhorse tech told me. "

You've got a Freightliner chassis , with Cummins engine ? Correct ?

Charcoal canisters and vacuum fuel tank purging of gasoline vapors are gas chassis issues.

My F/L chassis , with Cat , builds pressure in the fuel tank , while the engine is running ( I assume that it is to aide fuel delivery to the engine ) and both fuel caps have warnings to " remove slowly to allow venting of the pressure" prior to adding fuel.
This being a new issue for your coach, with Cummins , I'd say you have to get access to look over the top of your fuel tank to check for a hose that may have become plugged ; as mentioned by another member; UNLESS you have changed fuel caps for any reason in the past weeks and got new " un-vented " caps when they should be vented fuel caps.

BTW; As mentioned by SLS, having your coach on a slight up slope to the front and fill side will aide venting of vapors while filling AND if you're using the truck stop high volume nozzles , you HAVE TO set those on the lowest auto fill flow latch on the pump handle .

Old 08-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Kahoona; we're having issues here that are muddying the waters .

" Repeating what the Workhorse tech told me. "

You've got a Freightliner chassis , with Cummins engine ? Correct ?

Charcoal canisters and vacuum fuel tank purging of gasoline vapors are gas chassis issues.

My F/L chassis , with Cat , builds pressure in the fuel tank , while the engine is running ( I assume that it is to aide fuel delivery to the engine ) and both fuel caps have warnings to " remove slowly to allow venting of the pressure" prior to adding fuel.
This being a new issue for your coach, with Cummins , I'd say you have to get access to look over the top of your fuel tank to check for a hose that may have become plugged ; as mentioned by another member; UNLESS you have changed fuel caps for any reason in the past weeks and got new " un-vented " caps when they should be vented fuel caps.

BTW; As mentioned by SLS, having your coach on a slight up slope to the front and fill side will aide venting of vapors while filling AND if you're using the truck stop high volume nozzles , you HAVE TO set those on the lowest auto fill flow latch on the pump handle .
I will call Freightliner again and hope for different tech. From what we have discussed the lack of venting may include the carbon canister and other things.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Where? Carbon canisters came about in the mid 70s, replacing and eliminating gas tank venting in the interest of clean air. Sure, my 64 and my 55 have vented tanks, but my 74 does not, nor do any of the newer cars. But you believe what you want to believe.
I believe my eyes when I drop a fuel tank, and I believe the repair manuals. That canister is in addition to and does not replace a vent line. The canister is for evap from the tank and has nothing to do the vent line running from the tank to near the top fuel inlet to help prevent blow-back.

Feast your eye on item 13 from this 2006 Wrangler repair manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelvent.png
Views:	10
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	257753  
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #19

Quote:
I believe my eyes when I drop a fuel tank, and I believe the repair manuals. That canister is in addition to and does not replace a vent line. The canister is for evap from the tank and has nothing to do the vent line running from the tank to near the top fuel inlet to help prevent blow-back.

Take a look at item 13 from this 2006 Wrangler repair manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelvent.png
Views:	10
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	257786  
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks! This gives me an idea of how this works. If mine is similar then I am looking for the vent that comes out near the top of the filler hose. I will need to inspect as much of it as I can looking for a crimp or obvious obstruction. I suspect that it is in a protected area ans so may be fouled by something in the fuel. Is it possible that the fuel management valve is bad or clogged? I appreciate the help. When I call Freightliner I will see if they will allow me to see a diagram. I will go under as soon as I get a non muddy spot.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
OK. Freightliner says: The coachbuilder could have done almost anything once the got the chassis but the fill and vent hose holes are both closely located on the upper side section of each side. He says that I would be looking for a sag in the vent hose that would let fuel accumulate and block it. This may have happened during travel due to vibration which would have caused the sudden problem. I have not tried to fill from the passenger side since then so it may be that that vent is OK. I will let you know more when I can get under without mud. Just thought I would post this for the next one with the problem.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
OK. Freightliner says: The coachbuilder could have done almost anything once the got the chassis but the fill and vent hose holes are both closely located on the upper side section of each side. He says that I would be looking for a sag in the vent hose that would let fuel accumulate and block it. This may have happened during travel due to vibration which would have caused the sudden problem. I have not tried to fill from the passenger side since then so it may be that that vent is OK. I will let you know more when I can get under without mud. Just thought I would post this for the next one with the problem.
Congratulations, you found the correct answer to your question in spite of many uninformed attempts to lead you astray.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Congratulations, you found the correct answer to your question in spite of many uninformed attempts to lead you astray.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
The passenger side one does not have the problem. Only the drivers side. Couldn't get to it to see it while on the road but now that I am home I will and will post what I find.

Tags
fuel, vent