RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel blowback and the vent I can't find.

The other day I tried to fuel "The Bus" and it spat the fuel back out. The DW called Freightliner and they said just open the other fuel filler and it will work fine untill I can go up on the roof and unclog the fuel vent. Great! I have no vent on my roof. Where might I find this vent? I am glad that they gave us 2 fillers!

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #2

Call them again, hopefully you won't get the same tech.

In 15 years I've never heard of a fuel vent up on the roof. So there was a misunderstanding, or someone didn't hear right, or it's something I'm not aware of.

The fuel vent typically runs up alongside the filler tube. And exits right under the fuel door. I have heard of complaints about blow back and people say they just open the other side when they have two fillers, but I've never heard of a roof vent system. I suppose a fancy RV might have one though. But what it might look like, I haven't a clue.

Good luck, someone with knowledge of your model should be by soon...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #3

Questions ?

Is this a new problem on your coach ?
Or is this a new to you coach that your filling when hot for the first time ?
Having the opposite side fuel cap loose is a bad fuel spill waiting to happen.

Do you have a Cummins engine , or is your coach one of the last with a Caterpillar?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Questions ?

Is this a new problem on your coach ?
Or is this a new to you coach that your filling when hot for the first time ?
Having the opposite side fuel cap loose is a bad fuel spill waiting to happen.

Do you have a Cummins engine , or is your coach one of the last with a Caterpillar?
Cummins. Not new. Developed suddenly.That is why I want to find and clear the vent.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
DO NOT open the other side. I don't know who would give you such advice. There is a really good chance that, while fueling from this side, fuel is spilling from the other side. That is not why we have two fillers. We have two fillers so we can fill from either side, not both, and not to use the other side as a vent.

Think about it -- you are sticking a 1 inch nozzle in a 2 inch hole. How much more vent do you need? Does your gas vehicle have a fuel tank vent? (Answer=noo, the charcoal canister is not a vent for filling, it is a vent for draining by use.) Does your gas can have a vent to use when filling? The filler ITSELF is your best vent. Now, blowback. This is the result of a design flaw in the filler and the tank, and a physical attribute of diesel fuel -- it foams, and it foams alt if you fill fast. Look at the diesel lanes in a truck stop; they are a mess of fuel spills and nattiness because truckers are in a big hurry and could not possibly care less. Go slow, know your rig, you can conquer blowback.

Yeah, there is no diesel tank vent on the roof, thank God for that, and your tank vent is likely a 1/4" pipe -- big help when you're ramming diesel in using something as big as a garden hose. That 1/4 inch tank vent is there to vent the tank for draining by use, not for venting refueling to fast. There is no other vent for refueling other than the filler neck.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

To the OP. Don't believe everything that you read on the internet. This thread is proof of that as you have been given a lot of wrong info.

Research filling problems caused by dips in either the fill or vent lines and proceed from there.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
To the OP. Don't believe everything that you read on the internet. This thread is proof of that as you have been given a lot of wrong info.

Research filling problems caused by dips in either the fill or vent lines and proceed from there.
Total Agree. Way too many OPINIONS.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous coach was a 2006 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis. It only had one filler on the passenger side. I assume it did not have a driver side filler because of the living room slide location may have interfered w/the filler.
When we first purchased it I had gotten a diesel bath because of the back pressure. After looking around for the mysterious vent hose I located it coiled up on top of the fuel tank. It happened to be clogged up w/mud, maybe from an insect that thought it was a great location to build a nest. I cleaned it out and it did fill better but still could not fill at a high rate of flow. I had read that if the vent line size was increased that would help but that would have required lowering the tank and increasing the vent hose from a 3/8" to something larger like 5/8" or so. fwiw...
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
A certain amount of static is expected. I found this on front of the front door. Could it be a vent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_144529.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	257604  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Does your gas vehicle have a fuel tank vent? (Answer=noo,

Yessss, Yes they do. and a vent problem will cause blow back on gas vehicle as well
Filthy-Beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
I "Fixed" the fuel fill problem

Just go to the thread I posted on the "FIX"....
Someone else can find it and post the link. That is not what I am go at........LOL

Interim way to mitigate this problem,
1. Always park when filling with front of MH is higher than rear of MH. 1% grade is enough.
2. If you have the filling side highest point, this is even better.
3. Go to my "FIX" it thread(s)

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
Our previous coach was a 2006 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis. It only had one filler on the passenger side. I assume it did not have a driver side filler because of the living room slide location may have interfered w/the filler.
When we first purchased it I had gotten a diesel bath because of the back pressure. After looking around for the mysterious vent hose I located it coiled up on top of the fuel tank. It happened to be clogged up w/mud, maybe from an insect that thought it was a great location to build a nest. I cleaned it out and it did fill better but still could not fill at a high rate of flow. I had read that if the vent line size was increased that would help but that would have required lowering the tank and increasing the vent hose from a 3/8" to something larger like 5/8" or so. fwiw...

This is correct, the vent tube comes from tank to the filler tube where you insert the nozzle. Sometimes it was just too long. know issues, back 10 years
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Yessss, Yes they do. and a vent problem will cause blow back on gas vehicle as well
Where? Carbon canisters came about in the mid 70s, replacing and eliminating gas tank venting in the interest of clean air. Sure, my 64 and my 55 have vented tanks, but my 74 does not, nor do any of the newer cars. But you believe what you want to believe.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
A certain amount of static is expected. I found this on front of the front door. Could it be a vent?
Sniff it. What do you smell?

Tags
fuel, vent