Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Fuel filter maintenance

i am a newbe on this so please have patients with me- I have a 2005 Fleetwood bounder diesel- freightliner just serviced my rig - oil change, filters and such, I am perplexed that I cannot find anywhere how to drain-check for water in fuel filter- they say to do it after each fill and lots of info on changing filter and bleeding system. I do not understand the drain system, I am including a photo- if I tighten the nipple, it dribbles out and almost stops when it is all the way "up" but still drips diesel. when I back it off to the position it is in now- it seems to stay moist with diesel but not really dripping. where is the correct positioning and should there be tubing attached to it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1754[1].jpg
Views:	245
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	133789  
rvalleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Should be a drain on the bottom....
Old 07-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #3

I think you'll find that you need to screw the valve all the way OUT (CCW) to seal it, and IN (CW) to let it drain. It's just like some block or radiator drains.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

thanks - your right! I figured it out, the hard way, I think there must have been a piece of debris in the valve- why it was acting "funny", when I started her up it blew out the fuel in the filter and air locked the motor while blocking residential traffic! Once I put the valve correct and filled reservoir with diesel to start back up- and then restored peace with my neighbors
rvalleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

Doesn't need to be done at every fill up...
Old 07-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine has a clear bowl. And in over 14 years I have never seen water in it. And never needed to drain any out of it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Mine has a clear bowl. And in over 14 years I have never seen water in it. And never needed to drain any out of it.
Good advise. More damage done by sucking in air then helping the matter.

Just replace the filter per specs.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

Sorry I was too late to tell ya to leave it alone, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" 13 years and never found water in it but did die in the driveway when I got caught fooling with it. If it would make you feel better a clear one is available part # B32003. I've never seen water in that either.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Same here in 14 yrs never had to drain it...Try to get fuel at truck stops Pilot/Flying J etc...They usually have a good turn over of fuel...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is clear, so it's easy to visually check.

But otherwise, just get yourself a little clear glass bottle and drain a little bit into it. If you see fuel, stop draining as there is no water on the bottom. (Diesel fuel is lighter than water, so water drops to the bottom).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
X-2 on that!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
glad to hear this, I did drain a little out of mine a few times this year. First there is little room to work and catch the fuel in something to inspect it in and as others have said it was just fine.

Just changing the filter regularly should get the job done.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #13

fuel filter

three years ago we took a trip to Pegion Forge,TN and then went over to Spartinsburg, SC . We stopped and bought fuel and when we started home the light came on ( water in fuel ) Had to have Road side service come out and replace two fuel filters . I was told to NEVER/NEVER fuel up if there's a fuel truck unloading fuel , gas or diesel ! I also learned to carry extra fuel filters and diesel fuel just in case it ever happens again even with road side assistance card still cost $275.00 Lesson Learned
Ron Goshorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, fuel