RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Fuel filters on Cat3126 engine

My 2000 Dutchstar with a Freightliner chassis, Cat 300 hp engine has two fuel filters mounted in the rear. I have attached a picture. Is this the right setup for the filters?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191118_141341 (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	267642

bobhauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #2

Hello

The yellow filter is the water separator and the red my be the main filter. One my Airstream with a 330 Cat the main filter was mounted on the engine with a hand primer pump and the water separator was down low by the duels.

Good luck
Richard

AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhauptmann View Post
My 2000 Dutchstar with a Freightliner chassis, Cat 300 hp engine has two fuel filters mounted in the rear. I have attached a picture. Is this the right setup for the filters?

Attachment 267642

I would contact freightliner they are the ones that installed them.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
When did you change them last???
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

The set up is the same as my 99, the lift pump portion of the HEUI pump , draws fuel from the tank through the filter/water separator , then pumps the pressurized fuel through the secondary filter to the cylinder head.

If you're DIYing the filters , be ready with a drain pan under the filters, and be prepared to install the new filter quickly , as the filter/separator housing can start a siphon from the fuel tank, once the old filter is removed.
Pump the manual primer pump on the secondary housing , until you feel very heavy resistance to the pumping stroke , before trying to start the engine.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Recently purchased a 2004 Phaton with 330hp 3126 Cat. It only has one water separating fuel filter. I crawled every inch and can't find another filter. Can that be right?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
DJJ

Fuel filters on Cat3126 engine

Yes, it's a 2 micron filter on the one filter set ups. Cat does not make a 2 micron water sep filter for your set up. Alliance filter from Freightliner or cross ref to a NAPA or other aftermarket.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Yes, it's a 2 micron filter on the one filter set ups. Cat does not make a 2 micron water sep filter for your set up. Alliance filter from Freightliner or cross ref to a NAPA or other aftermarket.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the come back. I am so happy to have found this forum. It is a fountain of information.

Searching further I found the location of the Cat fuel filter on the motor made it very difficult to change on a rear radiator rig. Because of that Cat gave the green light to go with just a 2 micron water separating filter.

This morning I checked the new filter just installed and discovered the deisel parts house sold me a 10 micron. You just canít take anything for granted. That is one of the many reasons I prefer to preform my own maintenance.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

Yes, very true about doing your own maintenance while you can. When we first brought our coach home, I found a half dozen Zerk fittings that didn't have any grease applied to them for years. The PO told me he always took it to a very reputable shop, but when I started to look at things I found they sure sold him on lies, and collected his money. He told me the front roof air conditioner was completely replaced and the rear one was completely rebuilt for almost $2,000. When I investigated, I found the serial numbers on the front and rear units were close to each other and showed it they were made in the year the coach was manufactured. I did see where they installed a new start capacitor.

BTW, my 2006 coach with the Cat C7 has two filters, one being high up on the side of the engine. I simply remove the floor in the bedroom to get at it, and lube the exhaust brake while I am at it. Very important.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, engine, fuel