Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Fuel filters on XC chassis Cummins 5.9

So I have heard that there are 3 fuel filters on my dp mh. The fuel filter/separator is very easy to get to and has been changed. I have found out that there is another on the engine and yet another one " in line" inside the frame rail in the back somewhere. Any input from the diy guys?

Thanks, Jim.
Zapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper58 View Post
So I have heard that there are 3 fuel filters on my dp mh. The fuel filter/separator is very easy to get to and has been changed. I have found out that there is another on the engine and yet another one " in line" inside the frame rail in the back somewhere. Any input from the diy guys?

Thanks, Jim.
I went crazy looking for additional fuel filters till I called Freightliner and asked them. On my chassis their is only one.

Hope this helps.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

So I called Freightliner today and asked how many fuel filters my coach had
on it , he said 2 , one inline screen type up by the fuel tank on the frame rail and one water fuel separator, which is located in the back. The inline one was supposedly near the fuel tank up front so I go to look for it up there and no way is that area serviceable without dropping the LP tank. Back by the rear of the coach up on the rail above the axle on the passenger side behind some hoses or wire harness I found it. Hadn't been changed of course. Within arms reach and using one arm , changed it out . Haven't blown through the old one yet but the new one is on and ran the engine , good to go.

Thanks for the info . Jim
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What rig and year do you have? I was told only one on mine too but always wary of that.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

2005 Damon Ultrasport 3465
300hp isb cummins 5 speed allison
Freightliner xc chassi

Thanks for the reply, the inline strainer isn't too hard to change if you have long arms and can do it one handed ! Up on the frame rail pass side on my rig, had to move a wire harness out of the way to see the whole thing. It will drain some fuel out but not too much. Have to pull the whole thing down, remove fittings , install fittings on new one, install filter back on. I could still blow through the old one , it's on the fuel supply line from the tank to the engine . The info from FL was incorrect as the placement of the filter but were correct on how many were on the chassis.
I have heard that there might be 3 total but could only find the 2.
Hope this helps. Jim
Old 02-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told that the ISB-02 does have the inline filter but my ISB does not. I am not sure if that is true but I have checked everywhere on ours ISB. Even used my inspection camera for the areas that I can not see. Have not found an inline yet.

This is what caused me to ask in another post the difference between the ISB and ISB-02
banjopickin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #7

My interpretation is the isb-02 was designed for the possibility of using bio diesel . That was the reason for the extra filter . It is a fine screen mesh in addition to a larger one. The common rail cummins came out in '03 model year for the pickups, I had one . idk on the motor homes.
Thanks , Jim.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

The inline filter/screen is hard to find; because of it's size it's easy to miss , most are hidden by the wiring harness.

Some years of chassis production have them others do not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inline fuel filter.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	152211  
Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What rig and year do you have? I was told only one on mine too but always wary of that.
During a roughly two year period from 2003 thru 2005, Cummins and Cat both authorized a single fuel filter system that combined a water separator and fine filter. Then they went back to requiring two-stage filter system. Motorhomes with model years from mid 2003 thru mid 2005 may have been built with engines installed per the single filter directive, so it's best to check your specific VIN with the chassis builder so you get the straight scoop on what you have. Also, the ISB filter requirements were different than the larger ISC/ISL/ISM/ISX engines, so don't assume the same rules applied. I think the Cat 3126 family was different than the larger C7 & C9 too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, cummins, fuel