Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Fuel Gauge

The fuel gauge in our new Journey drops to empty now and then while driving. None of the gauges in the cluster are affected. If I stop, shut the coach off, wait for a fee minutes, then start up again, the gauge starts working again.

Any Ideas?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

All your dash instruments are daisy-chained together on a single data line from the MMDC computer. The individual gauge knows what part of the data stream it's looking for, and reads only that part of the stream. That way the oil pressure doesn't show coolant temp or the tach, MPH. This also means that the gauges don't have to be connected up in any specific order.

We had a problem on the Bus with the air pressure gauge falling to zero periodically, then recovering. It also turned the low air warning horn on, so it definitely got my attention. Talking to Freightliner wasn't much help, because they said if it wasn't broken, they wouldn't be able to fix it. Of course I made sure all the gauge plugs were tight and such, but that didn't help. I dropped the instrument cluster part of the dash and scrambled all the gauge plugs.

Problem solved, never happened again.

Worth a try.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

I had the same problem on my MH. I had mine fixed while I was at Camp Freightliner. They ended up replacing the gauge. They said it was a known issue. I don't think all of the dealers are aware of it though. I would call the Freightliner hotline.
MouseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2011 Entegra had a bad gauge which FL knew about. Replaced it, no more problems.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

One question is how does a bad gauge set off an alarm?
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel