Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

fuel gauge not working

Evening all. Pulling the big girl out for the first summer vacation and I ran into some electrical issues and I ran out of knowledge.

I have an 04 newmar dutchstar 4025 on a freightliner chassis. I've just started popping turn signal fuses, 3 in all, when I attempt to switch left signal to right signal. Now today after I fueled up the fuel guage stops working and the check service center light on the dash came on.

I looked for a fuel gauge fuse but did not locate one. Has anyone had a similar problem or an obvious place that I havent checked.

Breakers are on and the obvious fuses have been changed.

Thanks in advance.
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Just to follow up and close this post. I spoke with freightliner and they told me since the 10 amp dash fuse was still working and no other lights were on it was probably the fuel sensor # 03-33069-000. He stated that the part was relatively inexpensive but 6 to 8 hrs. for a mech to drop the tank and replace the part. Wow! Not this year brother. Looks like the next couple of trips are gonna include a pen and notepad to keep track of mileage and fuel expense.
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

Thats how we'll be doing it too as the fuel gauge in the new to us '97 Residency isn't working.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

A question to see if I'm reading the post right .
The T/S fuse blowes when you manually move the signal arm from the left to right possision ? and no other time ?
If that's the case , I'd bet there is something wrong in the switch.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to troubleshoot it and don't have schematics maybe you should get an ID at accessfreightliner.com. They should have your drawings for the Freightliner portion.

Just for kicks I looked at mine and the sensor on mine is resistive with a slider. I traced the wire to the instrument harness so on mine I could make a resistive check to ground if I suspect the sensor is open.

When I go on trips I also fill the tank and use the tank minder on my VMPpc to tell me how much is left. Always within 5 gallons on a 90 gallon tank.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #6

That is too bad that the in-tank sensor failed. It appears to be a $1000 repair and maybe not worth it. In any case a sure fire troubleshooting to be very sure it is the sensor would be in order. I also would use VSSpc to read the tank level. You still have the turn signal issue. I would look for a short and remove the bulbs to see what happens.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #7

Fill me in on the latest with the turn signals.

About the fuel gauge, find the tank sender before you panic too much. I've done several senders on DP's and never had to drop a tank. See if it's a Centroid sender.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just for giggles and nothing to loose, reach up under the dash and make sure that all connectors/harnesses are tightly snapped together. I had a problem on my Freightliner and a quick push on the harness revealed a slight movement and click. Fueal and tach started working. Nothing to loose.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Just for giggles and nothing to loose, reach up under the dash and make sure that all connectors/harnesses are tightly snapped together. I had a problem on my Freightliner and a quick push on the harness revealed a slight movement and click. Fueal and tach started working. Nothing to loose.
x2
my dash lights would select the "off" position out of the blue, followed by odd gauge movements. i found the big pack connector to be loose, solved the odd dash behavior and light issues

t/s fuse i would gather the switch has some crud in it or its fractured, easy peazy to replace.
and.......check the map lights....my driver side was shorting out if you bumped it and i would loose dash lights and power to the winegaurd switching unit took me a week or better to find it and that was by accident, as it was dark and i went to turn on the map light and saw sparkies
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #10

First post, first class A coach, first trip and first issue. I also have a problem with a fuel gauge. Traveling after a couple of hours the fuel gauge will just quit, fall to empty. Pull into the next rest stop and restart the engine, the gauge comes back to life. Down the road again, it quits again. Next rest stop, restart, the gauge comes back. This goes on the entire trip. The coach is a 2011 Thor, Astoria. Don't mean to high jack your thread, but thought I'd see if there was any ideas on this one. Its under warranty, but thought the ideas would save me a trip.
Thanks - John
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
My gauge would float up and down too...Gaffney changed the sending unit with out dropping the tank.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
First post, first class A coach, first trip and first issue. I also have a problem with a fuel gauge. Traveling after a couple of hours the fuel gauge will just quit, fall to empty. Pull into the next rest stop and restart the engine, the gauge comes back to life. Down the road again, it quits again. Next rest stop, restart, the gauge comes back. This goes on the entire trip. The coach is a 2011 Thor, Astoria. Don't mean to high jack your thread, but thought I'd see if there was any ideas on this one. Its under warranty, but thought the ideas would save me a trip.
Thanks - John
I have exactly the same problem with a 2011 Newmar Dutch Star. I'm at Newmar now, getting other service, and they are saying they probably won't have time to fix it. According to Freightliner it's a known problem.
blue lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lacy View Post
I have exactly the same problem with a 2011 Newmar Dutch Star. I'm at Newmar now, getting other service, and they are saying they probably won't have time to fix it. According to Freightliner it's a known problem.
If it's a known issue, guess it shouldn't take long to troubleshoot. I have had mine in the shop for 3 weeks today. Looks like a phone call to see what's up.
--John
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lacy View Post
Ditto. 2011 Itasca Ellipse. Same problem. Gauge drops to zero typically at around 1/2 tank but it's not consistent. Done that since our first trip. Sometimes 3/4, sometimes just after filling. If I stop and restart it comes back, or if I unplug the gauge pod wiring and plug it back in, it comes back for a while.

At first FTL service had them diagnose. They said sending unit and replaced sending unit under warranty. That lasted for about 1 trip then problem resurfaced. For now we just drive by mileage on any given tank of fuel. Next FTL service will rattle cages again

If it is a known FTL problem, what's the fix?

Thanks!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel