Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel Pump Runs and Dash Lights Flash post Alternator change

I just changed the alternator to the Quality Power model from the Delco. Teh new alternator has an extrea terminal near the main BAT lug. Apparentely these extra lugs are not used. I also repaired the corroded pig tail harness (spade connector).

When I turn on the main chassis batteries, the fuel pump runs and the dash lights flash while the key is off! I feel I have something wired incorrectly.

Is this issue a normal reset of some sort? I did disconnect the wires to the chassis batteries to do the alternator change and believe I put them on exactly as they were prior to the alternator change (But I did not take pics). I did not start the RV and turned the main disconnect back off until I can verify this is a normal reset issue.

I called freightliner and they said to disconnect the negative battery. I will do this overnight. I also plan to disconnect the alternator completely to see what happens when the mains are turned on.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, or if there is some sort of start sequence for the batteries, please let me know. I turned off all power tonight and will readdress in the AM.

This thread is tied to my previous thread on low voltage and corroded alternator wires. Thanks.
dabneytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Not normal. Anytime you have a weird dc situation I recommend checking all ground connections you touched. On your corroded pigtail you might wan't to make sure the corrosion didn't go down further into the wires inside the insulation. That really stands out to me as the first place to look if you are sure all your connection points are correct and tight.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Issue resolved!
Had a bad ground (the large main ground wire) from the chassis batteries.

Other symptoms I had are:
Also had clicking under the dash until the fuel pump shut off with key on.

With shore power or the AUX switch engaged - Motor started OK and all indications OK, but I had to have the house Batteries on also; But when I shut down, the gauges went backwards;

Sometimes the dash warning lights would glow faintly with key on.
Hope this helps folks in the future!
dabneytr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, dash, fuel, fuel pump, light, lights