Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is one of my experiences with ordering parts from Gaffney, which I highly recommend.

1. I called the Gaffney Service Center and was given the price of $137.50 for the air brake desiccant filter kit from my chassis. They checked shipping via Fedex and could send it to my home for $4.xx, resulting in a $141.xx charge to my credit card.
2. A call to my local Freightliner dealer, providing the same part number suggested a price of $140 but there would be an 8.25% tax on top of that, making the result $151.55 PLUS, I'd have to drive an hour each way to pick up the part.
3. I had the part from Gaffney at my house the next day.
4. In out of stock conditions in Gaffney and Ft. Worth (part coming from a Freightliner distribution center), I would be getting my part from exactly the same place anyway. The turnaround time (Freightliner distribution to Gaffney to me) was actually faster than ordering the part through a local Freightliner dealer. Unless I agree to pay for premium shipment (which has been quoted to me as high as $50), it takes several weeks for the local Freightlner dealer to obtain the part. In a breakdown situation, using Gaffney would be net cheaper and faster.

The cost differential in this case was not as large with this part as in the past. Gaffney wanted $79 for the upper radiator hose for my engine and my local Freightliner dealer priced that out at $185.

Like many others, I cannot say enough good things about the Gaffney Service Center. It is wonderful to work with them.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Anytime you're in Gaffney it's a great idea to stock up on often used parts. And you get an additional discount as a club member.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion last fall when I performed my 36 month service. My local FL dealer is only 15 minutes away, so I drove there to get my filters and other parts that I needed. I took an number and waited in line for 20 minutes a bunch of disgruntled truckers before I got to the parts counter.

Out of the 5 parts that I needed, they had only one in stock, and said it would take 3-5 days to get the remainder. I ordered them and put off my work until the next weekend. I then had to drive back to FL and pick up my parts 5 days later.

Like you experienced, the money I could have saved in shipping from Gaffney was spent in sales tax at the dealer. It would have been worth it to get my parts the next day and save the hassle of driving to the dealer twice, and wait in line both trips. Next time it's all about Gaffney...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Part of the pricing equation is that Gaffney's parts prices are set by Freightliner. Parts ordered out of a dealer location, because they are all independent businesses and don't have to pay any attention to Freightliner, are set locally and can be anything. While there is the possibility that a part is actually lower priced locally, that isn't my experience. I get the distinct impression from the Freightliner dealers (besides Gaffney) that I've visited so far that they believe they are doing you a big favor by working on your MH. That mentality appears to carry over to the their MH parts pricing.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #5

Ok. Nice to know.

Dies anyone have the number and contact information for Gaffney?
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the link from the Freightliner Custom Chassis Website. I selected "motor home", then SC under service locations.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

Thanks!!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote